Got a ticket for Lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes I wonder why I get involved .... :shakehead:

Because deep down you loathe the fact that you could be an attorney and have someone pay you minimum $150/hour for this "case". Then you say "oh well we'll need to file a motion for discovery" in order to "obtain the evidence". Simple form that you just fill in names, dates, case numbers, etc. That form will be an extra $200...

Isn't it killer?

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

[SIZE=-1]379.407 Administration; rules, publications, records; penalties; injunctions.—(1) BASE PENALTIES.—Unless otherwise provided by law, any person, firm, or corporation who violates any provision of this chapter, or any rule of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission relating to the conservation of marine resources, shall be punished:(a) Upon a first conviction, by imprisonment for a period of not more than 60 days or by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
(b) On a second or subsequent conviction within 12 months, by imprisonment for not more than 6 months or by a fine of not less than $250 nor more than $1,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

that's the actual statute & relevant section.

[/SIZE]

AKA drunk and disorderly? :p
No, actually disturbing geese. They were goofing around, trying to rope geese like they were cattle and they got arrested. Apparently its a city ordinance in Ft.Collins,CO that you can't disturb the geese.
They both got misdemeanors and had to go to court. It was a huge hassle and hey both ended up paying fines/community service.
It's a big joke in both families, even now after oh, 35 years.
My brother's friend,btw, is now a world famous farrier. He's actually won a bunch of International competitions in the shoeing and is very well known in the dressage world. He travels all over the world giving clinics on how to shoe horses and make shoes. I guess he also has special tools that he's designed and patented for shoeing, too.

Because deep down you loathe the fact that you could be an attorney and have someone pay you minimum $150/hour for this "case". Then you say "oh well we'll need to file a motion for discovery" in order to "obtain the evidence". Simple form that you just fill in names, dates, case numbers, etc. That form will be an extra $200...

Isn't it killer?
Yes it is killer....

they have to pay for those rolls royces and yachts somehow . . .

Get the greatest lawyer you can possibly afford.

Believe me, I had several small issues like this in my early twenties. They were nothing to speak of, so I never really cared. Today, with several state professional licenses and a federal securities license, I can tell you that I wish I had spent 10k on a lawyer to remove a $250 fine and a misdemeanor record (actually adjudication was withheld, not that that mattered). But I thought, "it's no big deal" 20 years ago, and I'm really paying the price now jumping through hoops for professional designations.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2013 at 06:26 PM ----------

This is important:

In Florida you can plead nolo contendre and request a withold of adjudication, thereby allowing you to come back a year or so later and have your record expunged.

Or, as a first time offender, you can also request pretrial diversion where you complete a program on not breaking the law any more, pay for the costs to the system, and upon completion the charge is dropped and never filed.

This guy was spot on with most of his post. But this approach doesn't save you ANYTHING. For professional designations and licenses, and anything that's REALLY important, they don't care if it was expunged, or adjudication was withheld, etc. On virtually everything important in my professional life, I still had to disclose my expunged crap. And it cost me time and money to explain my situation. Sometimes I got the job or license, sometimes I didn't.

i tried applying for Broward Sheriff office and they required me to disclose something that was expunged from mine and that was from just a county ordinance from another state --- i have learned not throw lit bottle rockets out of car windows though!

Well, the fact that it was the week before you applied.... Did you get the job ;-)

I stress over and over to people. If you are going to court you need an Attorney. You might indeed be able to get the best deal on your own. Maybe. At least part of the time. An attorney will get you the best deal possible. They actually go to school for this. They also have experience. The quote "A person who represents himself has a fool for a lawyer and a jackass for a client" comes to mind.

You need to go and find a attorney ..... A very good expensive one.... Pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars.... So he will go and speak with the DA and get you the same deal that you'd get if you have half a brain....

You were stopped with two lobsters.... One had a few eggs on it's tail.... You were very polite to the officer and returned the lobster to the sea.. This is a first offence, RIGHT ? Filed for court cost.....

Jim....

Sometimes I wonder why I get involved .... :shakehead:

The misdemeanor courts in Florida is a cash cow they only want your money they have no interest in putting you in jail so put that fear aside. The DA will say they are going for the max. But it is just a bluff to get you to plead. So at this point you have two choices, plead no contest and see if you can negotiate a withhold of adjudication and pay the fine, ask the conviction be removed after x months, another version of this is Pre-trial diversion. Same out come but the probation dept. collects your money monthly and you do community service. Either way you are paying the county several hundred to thousands to clear the record after x months. Option two fight it in court spend about $5000 for a good attorney that will most likely get the case dismissed but worse case will get you the same pre-trial diversion. Now here is why you DO NOT want a conviction. Every day I have to explain to otherwise good people why they can't work for me because of the background check adverse findings. A conviction will pop up on you when you least expect it. Even if you own you company I have to have a clear BCG on the owners or companies I work with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom