Got a ticket for Lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So unbelievably it happened :'(

me and a friend of mine when to Lauderdale by the Sea last night to try and get some lobster for the first time on mini season. At the end of the night we where only able to get 2 lobster. Although we saw alot more, most of the other ones where to small or had eggs on them. It seems however that both me and my buddy over looked that one of the 2 lobsters we got was hiding some eggs.

As we were going back to our car we where confronted by FWC, they asked to show them are catch and we did. to both our surprise we had the egg bearing female :confused:. it was still perfectly alive and we put it back a good distance back in the water.

so with out any complaints both me and my buddy complied with everything the officer wanted and then he gave me a quick explanation of what he charged me for, he was very nice.

so it seems i got a misdemeanor criminal offense for having that lobster, and i have to show up to court. the officer said in a very general manner that depending on the magnitude of the offense i will get some where along the lines of a fee no more then $500 and in very very very extreme cases they put people in jail for a couple of days.

im a little worried as i have never dealt with something like this before and have no idea what to do or expect.

do any of you have any recommendations? should i hire an Lawyer or something or just show up to court my self. does any one have an idea of what i might get as a punishment?

i feel sooooo stupid for not doing a final check of the lobsters before getting out of the water. :censored:

I'm glad they caught you before you killed her. Good luck with your court stuff.

I'm glad they caught you before you killed her. Good luck with your court stuff.

we would have put her back regardless when we unloaded the bag and saw the eggs, we just never got the chance :\

im pretty sure this is going to be my last mini season ever.

Good luck surviving the beating you will receive here on SB.

when you go to court just take a copy of this thread with you to show your penance.

Sorry man. That's going to be one expensive lobster dinner for 1.

Hope your post will remind others to be very careful.

Please let us know how this all turns out.

It's like handling a speeding ticket. Though, if you had been caught eating her on the beach...

are there any attorney services that deal with this? i dough i can just take this to the ticket clinic.

Any criminal defense attorney can assist you in this matter. Maybe even the "ticket clinic." Call around, most criminal defense attorneys will give you a free phone call. I cannot give you any legal advice even though I am a criminal defense attorney here in Florida because of the Ethical rules that bind us. I surely wouldn't take advice from random people on the internet (forgive me, random people).

I would also recommend getting an attorney. It's not a speeding ticket, but a criminal offense. Treat it seriously, at least - that's what I'd do. Lawyers are very expensive, but when you're looking at possible jail time, a criminal record etc.. I'd say they're a necessary expense in this situation.

- Random Person

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom