Closest warm-water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

Correct me if I am wrong -- when I look for flights to Cozumel (really good diving, eh?) I get 8.5 - 11 hours with stops in places like Houston or even Charlotte. Prices are like $750 - $800.

Anyone have a better result?

Thanks,

Bill

That's about what I've seen (give or take). Another option is to fly to Cancun, which is a little cheaper. Try travelocity's Flight + Hotel option. I went to grand cayman that way from LAX and it was actually pretty cheap.

I booked a red-eye out of SF to Coz for about 650 on United..a layover in Houston of 1 1/2 hrs in Coz at 11am with the time change. Not too bad?

We drove here and had a great vacation..it can be driven in one day if your brave enough to drive in the dark which I don't recommend..we did it in 2 days..www.bajaoutpost.com they are in Loreto which is the location of some of the best diving in the sea of cortez...we also lead a trip each year to Cozumel..we go in the off season when the prices are better and so is the diving...if you watch the fairs and get it when the prices drop you can easily get it for around $500 including all taxes..

For me, closest warm water I have been to is Cozumel, Key Largo, Catalina Island and San
Diego.
Cozumel was about $550, Oakland to Twin City to CZM (round trip) 5 nights hotel and flight. (H1N1 time)

We drove here and had a great vacation..it can be driven in one day if your brave enough to drive in the dark which I don't recommend..we did it in 2 days..www.bajaoutpost.com they are in Loreto which is the location of some of the best diving in the sea of cortez...we also lead a trip each year to Cozumel..we go in the off season when the prices are better and so is the diving...if you watch the fairs and get it when the prices drop you can easily get it for around $500 including all taxes..

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Cabo Pulmo Diving. The best dive of my live was there with schools of hog nosed rays, big eyed jack, and the added mega bonus of a juvenile grey whale. As much as I love Cabo Pulmo and diving there. I know that some want to stay at a big resort, and have big comfortable dive boat. That is not Cabo Pulmo. Cabo Pulmo does not even have a hotel or a dock. You will stay in a privately owned caseta, and dive from a beach launched ponga (they use an old 4X4 truck to launch the boat). You also have to climb back into the panga after your dive and you must be in reasonable shape to do this. If you want a beautiful quiet beach, dirt roads, wild flowers, quiet starry nights, and a remote rustic beach village Cabo Pulmo might be one of the last places left within a days travel that you can find this kind of paradise.

Here are the links I use for housing and diving. I could not be happer with them.
Cabo Pulmo Casas - solar powered village with snorkeling, fishing, kayaking, hiking and surfing
Cabo Pulmo Diving

Back
Top Bottom