Oriskany Report and Photos 4/28/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met up with Capt. Andy and crew at the Niuhi dock yesterday afternoon for a planned trip to the Oriskany. The offshore forecast was good, but we had a storm blowing through at the coast, so the Captain advised us to take our time loading the boat as he eyeballed the radar. The storm did end up moving East, so we fell in behind it, and had a quick and uneventful trip out to the wreck.

I planned to get some photos of specific areas inside the island. Unfortunately I was plagued by equipment issues, and my results were mostly terrible. I then thought to shoot some video, but viz dropped off before I could do much of anything.

The cause of the viz drop was pretty cool though. Bivalves attached to the Oriskany were spawning. I've never seen this before, and it was interesting to watch.

Before the spawn started, we had perhaps 60ft of viz. The water was warm, and mostly still. We had a current in the 70-85ft range, but nothing above or below it. Surface Interval snacks included fresh-cut pineapple, bottled water, Gatorade, and Cuban sandwiches. I usually don't eat on surface intervals, so I can't testify to the quality of the sandwiches, but I couldn't resist the pineapple, which was delicious.

The trip back in was just as fast as the trip out, and the ride was pretty nice despite the seas, which had kicked-up a bit. Thanks to Capt. Andy and crew for a great day on the water. Niuhi Dive Charters - Pensacola Scuba Diving Adventures

IMG_4860a.jpg

IMG_4862a.jpg

IMG_4886a.jpg

IMG_4890a.jpg

IMG_4898a.jpg

IMG_4907a.jpg

IMG_4911a.jpg

IMG_4914a.jpg

IMG_4924a.jpg

IMG_4926a.jpg

IMG_4932a.jpg

IMG_4964a.jpg

IMG_4968a.jpg

IMG_4969a.jpg

IMG_4950a.jpg

Those are some beautiful shots. I especially liked the rock beauty angelfish. I don't think they are very common in the northern Gulf. The spawning clams are cool. Although I am only a snorkeler, I have noticed that dive reports on this subforum have been few and far between this summer and I am missing them. This subforum used to be very active in the summer with reports and photos.

Those are some beautiful shots. I especially liked the rock beauty angelfish. I don't think they are very common in the northern Gulf. The spawning clams are cool. Although I am only a snorkeler, I have noticed that dive reports on this subforum have been few and far between this summer and I am missing them. This subforum used to be very active in the summer with reports and photos.

This is the first Rock Beauty I've seen North of Ft. Lauderdale. I was having trouble with my camera, or I would have more photos to post.

The bivalves were all spawning. It dropped viz it was so significant.

I've been too busy, or too poor to dive as much as I'd like this year, and I usually don't post if I don't have photos or video to share, so if I'm spearfishing it usually doesn't show up on the boards. I agree we need more trip reports on here. Sometimes I think I see tumbleweeds tolling across my computer screen.

-h

Great Report. Thanks again to Capt. Andy aboard Niuhi Dive Charters for a fantastic day of diving. I am finishing up my video of the spawning and sharks that showed up to check out the action. I will post it here in a little bit.

---------- Post Merged at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Here is the video of the Bi-Valve Spawn and SHarks we saw.

[vimeo]46623977[/vimeo]

or here: https://vimeo.com/46623977

Great stuff guys. I cant wait to go back so I can enjoy the marine life more. I dove it two weeks ago for the first time. I was a little overwhelmed by the experience and certainly didn't have enoigh time on two tanks to take it all in.

nice pics H!, nice vid MRx, Hetland- what was the coral that was yellow ? thanks josh

It's an anemone. I'm guessing "yellow sea anemone", but they're not in my reference, and I don't recall ever seeing one around this part of the Gulf. I think the rock beauty (black and yellow fish pictured above) is a first for me in this area as well. I've seen them many times in South Florida, but I can't remember seeing one here. The Oriskany always seems to hold surprises in reserve for me :D

I just wish my !@#$%^ camera would have been working properly.......

Thanks for the pic of Rich's plaque. He would have liked that.

nice pics H!, nice vid MRx, Hetland- what was the coral that was yellow ? thanks josh

It's an anemone. I'm guessing "yellow sea anemone", but they're not in my reference, and I don't recall ever seeing one around this part of the Gulf. ...

Looks a lot likeTubastrea sp. (sun coral), possibly?

Awesome report, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom