"Must Do's" on The Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with Kona Honu when I am on the Big Island. They have one of the biggest and least crowded boats. Staff are friendly and the DM's are awesome. Another reason why I chose them (I called around too) is that I do well on my air and I don't want to pay $$$ for boat dives if I am only going to be allowed to stay down for 30'. With Kona Honu I was typically the first in the water and the last to get out, averaging 60 minute dives. I would have stayed down longer if folks weren't waiting. ;o)

on the Manta dive, it was by far my FAVORITE, so much that I did it TWICE. What a RUSH!

If you go to Vocano Park, leave a tad later to arrive at the bottom at duck so you can see the lava flow. They have telescopes for you to look through.

other fun diving included diving through the lava tubes. most picturesque was 'Preachers'. Other than that, a lot of the same stuff (corals). I prefer wall diving

another vote for Kona Diving Company. We spent last week on the big island, and logged 11 dives (manta night dive twice) with KDC, while I can't compare to the other local ops, I will echo the previous post in that they are over-the-top in service. You will certainly be greated with a smile and guided with enthusiasm.

As for must do's - you have to visit "Da Poke Shack" and eat your poke on the shoreline, volcano national park was very cool (hang around until the sun is gone and you can see an orange glow caused by the lava coming from the crater below the Jagger Museum), Akaka Falls was cool, the botanical gardens north of Hilo is neat and "What's Shakin'?" (near the botanical gardens) was yummy... did I mention "Da Poke Shack"?

Also - I downloaded the e-version of "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" - it was well worth it.

Ask away if you have any questions.

Last edited:
I second Kona Honu divers. There are several dive ops that get good reviews, but we've had good experiences with them.
Volcanoes National Park is worth seeing (take a jacket; it can be chilly). If you like microbrews, Kona Brewing Company brewpub is worth a visit.

I strongly recommend that you buy a paper copy of the latest edition of "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" and bring it with you.

Thanks for tip. I bought the book.

---------- Post added ----------

I am coming tomorrow and will be there for a month with my 10 year old daughter (certified diver :) and would love to dive with locals. If your diving spirit wants to share with me the easy shore dives and divine sites, please email me at IamScubaDog@Gmail.com

Thanks.

Hin

The Manta dive is amazing! I just did it last year but can't remember the dive operations name. It was docked right down from the Sharaton. (A good place to stay) The boat was large and had had about 40 snorklers and just us 4 divers. Very Nice. It was only in 25' of water. I see mantas here in Maui but they are not coming right at you while eating and truning right before they hit you with there fins. Its an amazing experience!

I strongly recommend that you buy a paper copy of the latest edition of "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" and bring it with you.

Thanks for the tip. We'll be there in November - a week on the Aggressor and nine days on the island. The book will be a big help.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom