2012 Exercise and Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, didn't need the gym yesterday! Ended up somehow having to load over 50 tanks and do a whole bunch of other stuff on my "fun day" LOL Did two awesome dives - so much marine life it was almost overwhelming!

The downside is that I seem to have aggravated my ankle again and it's super painful & won't hold my weight without even more pain. One of the guys from the boat saw me hobbling and asked me if I'd like him to look at it. I was like "erm..." and he said I'm a doctor, well, an orthopedic surgeon actually. Fortuitous! So he checked it out and reckons it's the tendons/ligaments in there and had told me they can take as long as bone to heal fully - 4 to 6 weeks. Super. He also said "don't fin". I said, well, that's not going to happen since I'm diving on Saturday again (hopefully) but I'll be gentle with it.

He wasn't supportive of my recovery plan :D

Diving's worth it!
MAR12_190kja.jpg

...Back is feeling better than it has in a while and that's a great thing! My ankle & knee are still giving me the whoops though - yesterday we swam so much because I really couldn't walk. Think I'm heading out for a dive this morning and looking forward to just floating for a while :)
Speedy recovery to you! :)

Two 80+ minutes dives - I promise I only used one foot most of the time LOL - yesterday and they were full of the AWESOME!! On dive two I spent over 70 minutes with a super cuddly green turtle. She would not let me stop scratching her - at one point she'd snuggled up under my tummy, my arm under her fully supporting her as the hand scratched her neck and she folded her front & back flippers around my arm while bobbing her head in ecstasy. Magic, I tell ya, magic.
MAR12_198kja.jpg

Didn't do much more than come crash on the couch when I got back - overdid it a little bit after walking too much the night before, but it was totally worth it!

Oh my gosh! that is totally awesome!!!

SJ - it was totally amazing :)

Did another dive yesterday. Ankle much better but babied it Saturday night after I got home and really took it easy most of the day yesterday. Dive was awesome. Lifted some tanks, did some core work, energetic hour walk...feeling OK.
APR12_100kja.jpg

Oh, I bet! Sounds like you had a new friend. so cool when they choose to interact with us! And that is a great shot too!

:) Thanks, Coach!

here's a question for you all - turns out that orthopedic guy may have been more correct than I thought. Stood up yesterday and the shooting pains are back in my ankle. Which means my brisk walking & any finning is going to be a bit limited for a while, I think. What non-ankle using activity would you suggest to keep me a little more active as I baby it back to health?

Had an office day yesterday so only did a few bursts of activity here and there, but tried to keep moving throughout the day as much as I could. I'm feeling way better than I did a week or so ago but still riding the rollercoaster.

I met some of my short term goals for March
- goodbye 63kgs. Despite some setbacks and frustration I met this and it's a WIN.
- goodbye pile of personal paperwork I've been putting off. Started this and made some progress so this is almost a WIN, rolling it over for April :)
- hello Africa shorts! They look good from the front & back, but the top still has a little muffin thing, so that's a little win with a contination into April LOL
- hello renewed old friend. This is a big WIN - never did catch up with the original friend but did renew four others. Have plans to catch up with original friend when she returns in three weeks.

All in all a fairly good start to reaching some goals and getting out and doing some different things. Onwards for April!

:)Thanks, Coach!

here's a question for you all - turns out that orthopedic guy may have been more correct than I thought. Stood up yesterday and the shooting pains are back in my ankle. Which means my brisk walking & any finning is going to be a bit limited for a while, I think. What non-ankle using activity would you suggest to keep me a little more active as I baby it back to health?
What area of the back of the ankle is this? is it the at the calcaneous, the achilles, or the junction of the gastrocs/soleous?

What is the Diagnose?

What makes it feel worse and what makes it feel better?

Any activities that won't exacerbate it?

This information will help in figuring out things you can do :)

I met some of my short term goals for March
- goodbye 63kgs. Despite some setbacks and frustration I met this and it's a WIN.
- goodbye pile of personal paperwork I've been putting off. Started this and made some progress so this is almost a WIN, rolling it over for April :)
- hello Africa shorts! They look good from the front & back, but the top still has a little muffin thing, so that's a little win with a contination into April LOL
- hello renewed old friend. This is a big WIN - never did catch up with the original friend but did renew four others. Have plans to catch up with original friend when she returns in three weeks.

All in all a fairly good start to reaching some goals and getting out and doing some different things. Onwards for April!
Congrats on the smaller goals. It is the little steps that add up to big accomplishments. How are you celebrating your little victories?

Feel better.

Last edited:
Oh lordy, I don't know what it's called LOL It's the outside of my right ankle - pain runs up the backside of it and under the ankle bone, when it gets tired pain also comes up over the top of the bone and up my leg. Ortho guy said that I'd done something to the ligaments/tendons (he used real terms, but I'm bad about retaining that sort of info) and that what I'd done usually takes as long as bone to heal fully, so 4-6 weeks. He said up and down flex motion is OK but anything side to side or twisting is in the "not good" category. I still don't think it's as bad as all that, but with the renewed pain, I'm willing to take it a bit easier :)

Beach walk today was a little slower and it was ok unless I tried to turn or stop suddenly. A little limpy-er than I was before I started now. Ice and elevation and rest make it feel better.

How am I celebrating? By being happy about the results - might not sound too exciting, but for me, it's huge! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom