Why the push for i3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen a lot of newer/occasional divers yanking all kinds of dump valves in strange places that don't correspond to where the air is at all. For people who don't dive much, I think this is lovely.

Good point.

I wonder though, all vents must open no matter the location of the bubble; so wouldn't the bc take on lots of water? (Aqua, you got me thinking about pulling the wrong dumps.) Maybe someone who uses the bc can answer.

I'm coming up on 500 lifetime dives, mostly on a Zeagle (standard back inflate, now my travel BC) and TransPac (harness and donut wing)... a few, since last year, with a new Hollis SMS100 (I've gotten into side-mount), and about 40 on the Dimension i3 (my local diving grab and go fun rig).

My biggest issue is with those that make critical judgments on the i3 without ever having donned one, much less dove with it, simply because it's not conventional. After ~40 dives with the Dimension i3, I can say, in *my* humble opinion, that this is the most kick-ass, absolute fun rig I've ever used...
My experience has been that the trim is spot on, and I've heard this from a number of Dimension users -- perhaps due to the Wrapture harness which is also responsible for making it the, without exception, *most* comfortable rig I've ever worn as per supporting the weight of the tank. This may not be an issue to many, but those of us that do quite a bit of shore diving, and hauling, and may not be as young as we want to admit to, it's manna from heaven.

As for the i3 system itself, the mutli-blow function means I don't have to care what orientation I'm in, or think about which dump to pull. I'm not concerned about where the air bubble is parked, as with my side-mount rig, so I prefer all the vents blowing at once... And, I've found MUCH LESS water, at times NONE in the bladder, after multiple dives, than with my conventional rigs. I'm not sure if the mutli-blow valves also operate as check valves which would explain this, however, it just happens to be the case.

The lever sits right where my hand naturally falls to when I bring it to my side, and micro adjustments are a piece of cake. I've never (so far) had a leak, a stuck inflator, or a failure of any nature. The corrugated hose is familiar... but, that certainly doesn't make it better... just longer in the tooth, with admittedly more wring out time (which *doesn't* mean you don't have free flows on integrated octos, stuck inflators, and port separations with the "tried and true" corrugated rig).

Finally... the thing is an absolute gas to dive (no pun intended). It's well thought out, comfortable, so far extremely reliable, and, for me, a keeper. I agree it's a fun rig... and meant for simple, recreational depth excursions -- which last time I checked made up the overriding majority of most diving...
If I had to give it any d-merits, there would be just two changes I'd make: add a 2nd cam band (I've never had a tank slip, but I simply prefer two bands); sell the medium size on up with a choice of 30 or 50lb. lift bladders. I prefer a smaller wing, and don't like the extra heft and size the 50 adds. Neither of those points are deal killers for me, considering how much I enjoy this rig, when I do the types of diving I mentioned...

So, if some of you want to beat it up, be my guest... but at least beat it up from a position of informed and experienced perspective, rather than just blowing your own valves...

Hey Splitlip,
You are correct, on a traditional BC, if you were to open an upper and lower valve at the same time, water would rush in through the lower valve.
Fortunately, flat e-valves, as found on all Aqua Lung i3 models, are one-way valves to prevent water from entering when they all open at once.
The design is similar to the one-way exhaust valve on a regulator's second stage.

FYI if you want to have two cam bands, you can by adding a single tank adapter. It bolts onto the plastic backplate and then you add the two cam bands on the single tank adapter. That's what I did when I used to have the Pro QD i3 and didn't like having only one cam band either.

Robert

I'm coming up on 500 lifetime dives, mostly on a Zeagle (standard back inflate, now my travel BC) and TransPac (harness and donut wing)... a few, since last year, with a new Hollis SMS100 (I've gotten into side-mount), and about 40 on the Dimension i3 (my local diving grab and go fun rig).

My biggest issue is with those that make critical judgments on the i3 without ever having donned one, much less dove with it, simply because it's not conventional. After ~40 dives with the Dimension i3, I can say, in *my* humble opinion, that this is the most kick-ass, absolute fun rig I've ever used...
My experience has been that the trim is spot on, and I've heard this from a number of Dimension users -- perhaps due to the Wrapture harness which is also responsible for making it the, without exception, *most* comfortable rig I've ever worn as per supporting the weight of the tank. This may not be an issue to many, but those of us that do quite a bit of shore diving, and hauling, and may not be as young as we want to admit to, it's manna from heaven.

As for the i3 system itself, the mutli-blow function means I don't have to care what orientation I'm in, or think about which dump to pull. I'm not concerned about where the air bubble is parked, as with my side-mount rig, so I prefer all the vents blowing at once... And, I've found MUCH LESS water, at times NONE in the bladder, after multiple dives, than with my conventional rigs. I'm not sure if the mutli-blow valves also operate as check valves which would explain this, however, it just happens to be the case.

The lever sits right where my hand naturally falls to when I bring it to my side, and micro adjustments are a piece of cake. I've never (so far) had a leak, a stuck inflator, or a failure of any nature. The corrugated hose is familiar... but, that certainly doesn't make it better... just longer in the tooth, with admittedly more wring out time (which *doesn't* mean you don't have free flows on integrated octos, stuck inflators, and port separations with the "tried and true" corrugated rig).

Finally... the thing is an absolute gas to dive (no pun intended). It's well thought out, comfortable, so far extremely reliable, and, for me, a keeper. I agree it's a fun rig... and meant for simple, recreational depth excursions -- which last time I checked made up the overriding majority of most diving...
If I had to give it any d-merits, there would be just two changes I'd make: add a 2nd cam band (I've never had a tank slip, but I simply prefer two bands); sell the medium size on up with a choice of 30 or 50lb. lift bladders. I prefer a smaller wing, and don't like the extra heft and size the 50 adds. Neither of those points are deal killers for me, considering how much I enjoy this rig, when I do the types of diving I mentioned...

So, if some of you want to beat it up, be my guest... but at least beat it up from a position of informed and experienced perspective, rather than just blowing your own valves...

Hey Splitlip,
You are correct, on a traditional BC, if you were to open an upper and lower valve at the same time, water would rush in through the lower valve.
Fortunately, flat e-valves, as found on all Aqua Lung i3 models, are one-way valves to prevent water from entering when they all open at once.
The design is similar to the one-way exhaust valve on a regulator's second stage.
Very cool. I did not want to suggest a "smart" valve, and bk alluded to it. But this is the 21st century. I have not seen flying cars yet, but I know for a fact we have gone beyond the technology of the '64 worlds fair, Star Trek and EPCOT. lol

Hey Splitlip,
@tphillipp: Could you please give us an idea of the cost of troubleshooting/repair for a problem with the i3 system (lever, internal push-pull rods, e-valves)?
Or is it possible that Aqualung will guarantee "free" repair/servicing of the i3 BCD for the life of the item?
The reason I ask this is that "standard" BCDs with a conventional power inflater + dump valve(s) often have replaceable parts which can be ordered and installed by the end-user. At present, this does not appear to be the case with the Seaquest BCDs incorporating the i3 system.

One thing that I've learned while diving is that nothing lasts forever with saltwater exposure.

@XS-NRG: I don't think I would be so quick to give the i3 BCD a score. Put several hundred dives on the BCD over the course of a few years, then see how you feel about the i3 feature. Personally, I'd like to know what is the chance that the i3 up/down switch or any of the downstream venting components will malfunction after being used in an unforgiving salt water environment over the course of several years. I'd also like to know how much Aqualung or the dive shop will charge for such a repair.

I will let you know.

Also I do agree with BKP. I now have 12 dives which comprise of both salt water and chlorine water. The unit is washed out everytime so far and I have noticed minimal water intake compared to the corrugated system. The longevity of the system relies on you the user. If you clean it out and take care of it it will last even after being subjected to harsh environments. Same applies to almost anything though. Abuse it and don't take care of it and you can rest assured you'll be replacing it sooner than you want. I've spent too much money on all my gear now to just kick it aside and not take care of it.

I am curious to hear the response to Bubbletrubbles question regarding servicing/repair. tphillipp, care to elaborate?

@tphillipp: Could you please give us an idea of the cost of troubleshooting/repair for a problem with the i3 system (lever, internal push-pull rods, e-valves)?
Or is it possible that Aqualung will guarantee "free" repair/servicing of the i3 BCD for the life of the item?
The reason I ask this is that "standard" BCDs with a conventional power inflater + dump valve(s) often have replaceable parts which can be ordered and installed by the end-user. At present, this does not appear to be the case with the Seaquest BCDs incorporating the i3 system.

One thing that I've learned while diving is that nothing lasts forever with saltwater exposure.

I have been wondering about this also. The system may work great when it works but there is no denying the fact that there are a lot more moving parts to it. Kind of reminds me of those nifty power sliding doors on mini vans, they work great when they work but on most of them you can't buy parts separately and have to purchase a new whole new $1000 module. More parts=more things to break.

Well, there were once plenty of TV repair men. Now, TVs are cheap. Most people I know don't rebuild power inflators because a new one's only $30. There's a commodity point.

Actually Aqua-Andy, I can deny your assertion that the i3 has a "lot more moving parts to it". In fact, it has very few moving parts. The beauty of an i3 assembly is its simplicity. A lever opens a large schraeder valve and voila, air rushes into a bladder. The i3 controller is easier to work on than a standard inflator. Servicing requires a new schraeder valve, two o-rings a QD filter screen and new screw gaskets. It's faster, it's easier and it's more cost effective to service i3 controllers than standard power inflators. Regarding the cost, I encourage you to check in with your LDS. Labor rates vary from store to store.

I have been wondering about this also. The system may work great when it works but there is no denying the fact that there are a lot more moving parts to it. Kind of reminds me of those nifty power sliding doors on mini vans, they work great when they work but on most of them you can't buy parts separately and have to purchase a new whole new $1000 module. More parts=more things to break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom