Why the push for i3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom,

I own an Axiom I3 which I love and have written in support of on this forum. With that in mind, I would really like to know what Tom Phillipp suggested as the "several steps to deal with a [stuck inflator] problem while under water, in the case of failure." Useful for all...

Thanks

Thanks Randl. I'd be glad to share.
Here is what I wrote:

"All inflators, all brands, all styles, old and new, have a remote chance of getting stuck open. This could be from lack of service, sand, salt, etc. While it is unfortunate, it does not need to be scary.

The first thing that you do is reach for your dump valve. Our BCs, like most in the industry, are designed to dump faster than they inflate. This is by design and is a safety feature. In the case of the i3, just move the handle all the way down. If you don’t like that option, then pull on the right shoulder pull dump. While you dump air, you or your buddy can remove the lp inflator hose. This is another area where the i3 is safer. It is much easier to remove the lp hose from an i3 than a standard power inflator. Afterward you can continue your dive by using oral inflation or abort the dive – your choice."

I own the AL Pearl w/i3 (female diver) and dive it in both warm water on vacation and drysuit at home in Canada (30 lbs in the integrated weight pockets/trim as well as a weight belt).

I love my BC and have only used the traditional inflator during my training and once and a while for the first two years or so on rental BCs. I wouldn't trade my i3 for anything now though, that is for sure and I'd recommend it to anyone. I find it extremely useful being able to reach my buoyancy very fast and accurately with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom