Why the push for i3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand the failure point idea but I personally think people tend to way oversimplify it, saying simply that less failure points = better reliability and superior design. The quality and likelihood of failure is even more important and can't be simply quanitified by saying a>b.

Good example is a jet engine versus simple piston engine in an airplane. The jet engine has many hundreds of turbine blades operating in a super hostile environment where if any one of them were to fail----the engine would go out of balance and fail in no time. A piston engine on the outside seems much simpler----a handful of big pistons, connecting rods, and valves compared to the many hundreds of parts in the jet engine. In real life though----jet engines have far superior reliability because of the design advantages creating less friction and wear, letting the engine have a lifetime of thousands of hours before overhaul relative to a piston that needs an overhaul every couple of hundred hours.

Looking at the i3, if the components are high quality and protected from the elements and less exposed---it could easily have superior reliability. Point is failure points is only a limited view of the system and time will tell.

Robert

but I am curious about the number of potential failure points as well.
Watch it or you'll have the theorists tell you that you wilt surely die if you use this system and they have never even dove one. :D Rather than worry about "potential failure points", research actual failures. I don't think I have read about one yet. I know I haven't encountered any.

I can only point out that the system works as advertised. It's just as easy and intuitive as they say it is. I like the hose routing better and I could release air easily in any position. The only real problem I had with it was the lack of a crotch strap and the inability to attach one. Most people are fine without a crotch strap, so it's a push in that regard.

I like the idea of it.
I've had a play with one and I can see me getting a BCD with the i3 system in the future (I just need to persuade my Wife that I need another one :wink:)
I understand the reluctance amongst some, Divers are a very conservative bunch.
When the first ABLJ systems came onto the market, the prevailing opinion amongst many divers was that anyone using one was so unskilled that they deserved to drown!

New is not necessarily bad.

Good feedback. :coffee: So my next question is this. Are there any women out there who have experience with the lotus i3 systems? I have tried one on at the LCD, and I quite liked the fit. The adjustable chest strap scored points with me because I'm a (somewhat) petite woman and rental BCDs tend to sit too wide on my shoulders for a comfortable fit. Moreover, (it's probably because I haven't done a lot of shopping yet) but I haven't seen a many BCDs with nicely integrated pockets for storage. Thoughts? :blinking:

I had one. Many dives. Loved it. BUT I sold it and bougt a Zeagle Ranger. Why.? Simplicity. And if someone not familiar with the system had to inflate by BC they would not know whfe to find the lever

Most BC's have crappy pockets for storage of items. Better choice is put pockets on the thighs of your wet or dry suit. Or get a pair of the neoprene shorts with pockets.

I had one. Many dives. Loved it. BUT I sold it and bougt a Zeagle Ranger. Why.? Simplicity. And if someone not familiar with the system had to inflate by BC they would not know whfe to find the lever

This is why during your predive safety check and your dive plan you point it out. I tell every new buddy I dive with about my BC and show them how it works in the unlikely event they need to help me. Don't expect them to know you have something the same or different. You have new technology that may people have never seen. It's up to you to help yourself by pointing this out!

I don't know if this is a systemic issue or not but I purchased a Lotus a few weeks ago. The first time I attached the air hose the inflator would not close and unless I pushed the dump the BC just kept filling up. The LDS said they would look at it. (the dive shop I purchased the product from) I thought they would just replace the item as it was never in the water. They called the next day and said there was a recalled part and it would be a couple of days to get the part in. After a week and a half I send the e-mail below and I posted their reply.

What is concerning is, and if what the shop is telling me is true, AquaLung never tested the item before shipping nor did the DS. And if you read the e-mail, it looks like there maybe a manufacturing problem. I paid full boat for the BC and we are now in the process of renting equipment to dive.

On Nov 7, 2012, at 11:16 AM, (LDS) wrote:

Hey XXXXX,

We are waiting for the replacement levers to come from Aqualung. They had a couple day warehouse shutdown, and relocation which has affected their ability to ship the replacement part.

The part was not missing, but the lever had an error in molding, that caused the issue. This problem has just recently come to light.

When the part comes in I will install it, and completely test the BCD.

Thanks,

XXXXX

--- XXXXXXXX@me.com wrote:

To: XXXXXX
Cc: XXXXXXX
Subject: Lotus BC
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 21:45:03 -0800

XXX,

Can you give me an update on (wife) BC?

It is my understanding that there was a part missing on her new Lotus i3 BC and that part is either back ordered, recalled or in transit. From a safety perspective I would like to know details as to why the BC would not function properly. Specifically the fact a new BC, from a reputable company (Aqualung) which it tested before leaving the factory (per their web site) failed before a single dive is concerning and I would like to know what the issue is/was before I have my wife dive with this critical piece of equipment. It problem appears to be centered around the i3 inflator. When the BC was hooked up to air, the air free flowed to the BC and would not turn off even when the valve was placed in the neutral position.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
XXXX

Hi Johnnye,
I was discouraged to read the account of your wife's Lotus. I appreciate that you want to leave the LDS out of your story but if you would like to PM me with any details, I would be glad to look into the matter so that I can get a better understanding what is happening here.

I can assure you that every BC that comes off of the production line is tested for inflate / deflate operation as well as any leaks.

Also, it is true that we moved warehouse locations late last week and had a shutdown period while we made the move. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

While we are not perfect by any means, we want you to have confidence that we will stand behind you and our products should there be any issues. It is our hope that your wife will get many years of enjoyable diving from her new Lotus.

Thanks Tom.

Within 48 hours, Aqua Lung placed a call to me personally, along with two emails. More importantly, they fixed the problem, making sure the item was fixed and tested. Along with fixing the inflator, Tom took the time to walk me thru several steps to deal with a problem while under water, in the case of failure.

Problems occur on all produces. In my opinion it is the response that says a lot about the company your dealing with. In this case Aqua Lung exceeded my expectations and earned my confidence.

Thanks Tom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom