Why the push for i3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i wouldn't call it a single point of failure since there is a shoulder dump pull cord...

We believe that integrated inflation and deflation is the future of BCs. The dive industry always bucks change. Divers were upset when we integrated weight into the BCs. Today, 98% of BCs sold in the US are weight integrated. The list of examples is long.

Regarding safety, there are strong arguments that the i3 system is safer. The fact that all dump valves open simultaneously is a safety and convenience feature as I have seen novice divers rising to the surface pulling on the wrong dump cord. The diver's hand now goes to one location, a stationary location, to dump air.

We understand that divers like tried and true and so we still offer traditional inflators but at some point we have to take a leadership role and advance the art. If we didn't, we'd still all be wearing horsecollar BCs.

It's a good debate and a fun one. We just ask that you try an i3 before you dismiss it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

in the late 1970's, I put a couple hundred dives on the evolutionary ancestor of the i3. This jacket BC had the combined inflate/deflate control at the lower right chest.

I loved it. It was simple, and easy to use, and worked well. My experience with that BC 30 years ago gave me enough of an open mind, that if a jacket BC fit into my diving now, I would almost certainly use an i3.

...Don't knock something until you've dove it...

All the best, James

...Don't knock something until you've dove it...
...and had to fix it.

I have every confidence that the i3 lever works in the way that Aqualung says it does. In fact, it may even provide a more user-friendly operation experience to someone who has never used a "standard" BCD before. However, I am curious whether it takes a lot of expertise/specialized tools to troubleshoot and repair the push/pull-rod i3 mechanism which activates simultaneous deflation of multiple dump valves. For example, are the rods prone to corrosion in the event that salt water infiltrates the bladder? Does the Aqualung warranty cover free repair/servicing of the i3 mechanism for the life of the BCD...or will the owner be subject to an expensive fee once the terms of the "Limited Lifetime" warranty are no longer in effect (e.g., reselling of BCD to another person)?

My experience with scuba gear is that, even with the most fastidious maintenance, moving parts will eventually require servicing and/or replacement.

All this being said, I am a big fan of sensible innovation.

I own a Zeagle, a TransPac, and most recently, the Dimension i3.

In a nutshell, I love not having an inflator hose. I've yet to hear about *any* i3 failures (and I *have* asked around). On the other hand, I've heard of *many* standard inflator failures (Halcyon's famous stainless steel inflator boondoggle being the most notorious).

I like not having to lean over in order to get the last of the gas out of the BC shoulder, since the i3 dumps from all the vents, *regardless* of the position I'm in.

The i3 is right up there in comfort with the Zeagle (another favorite of mine), with both transferring the weight of the tank to the hips ... and they both seem to trim extraordinarily well...

It doesn't yet pack down as considerably as my Zeagle, which I'll continue to use for my travel BC, since there is a significant difference in wing size.

From in innovation perspective, I don't see getting rid of the inflator hose, and making all the vents dump simultaneously as just 'appearing innovative.'

I believe if the i3 system was the traditional legacy setup, and the inflator hose was just now being introduced as 'innovative,' you'd have the entire industry branding the new "innovation" as devolution...

We believe that integrated inflation and deflation is the future of BCs. ... It's a good debate and a fun one. We just ask that you try an i3 before you dismiss it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for finally answering my question. I think I like the idea of i3 in theory, but decided that in practice, it's not for me, at least not right now. (I got a bit of a sampling of it in my recent Rescue class where 2 classmates had it.). I just bought a Zeagle, but next time I'm in the market for a bc, I'll take another look at i3, especially if it's gone more mainstream by then.

It's a good debate and a fun one. We just ask that you try an i3 before you dismiss it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

That's a great idea, now can you find me one in NC that I can try? Called all the authoritized dealers in a 50 mile radius and not 1 had one in stock. Not one of the dealers offered to get one in for me to look at and only 1 offered to order one for me, cash up front of course. When I told that person I wasnt ordering a BC I hadnt seen before he just said ok and hung up. And then brick and mortars sit around and wonder why we shop online......1 store did mention that he didnt carry them because they werent selling very fast. Asked him if he had carried them in the past and he said no. It's a wonder to me he's still in business.

Now back to my original point, how about arranging for me to be able to see this bc?

Maule: you might email the customer support group at AL support@aqualung.com and see if the local rep will contact you. I know the local rep in my area has some demo pieces for consumers to use. The same may be true in your area.

That's a great idea, now can you find me one in NC that I can try? Called all the authoritized dealers in a 50 mile radius and not 1 had one in stock. Not one of the dealers offered to get one in for me to look at and only 1 offered to order one for me, cash up front of course. When I told that person I wasnt ordering a BC I hadnt seen before he just said ok and hung up. And then brick and mortars sit around and wonder why we shop online......1 store did mention that he didnt carry them because they werent selling very fast. Asked him if he had carried them in the past and he said no. It's a wonder to me he's still in business.

Now back to my original point, how about arranging for me to be able to see this bc?
Maule, I don't know where you are in N.C., however, I'll be diving Loch Low-Minn, in Athens, TN, this weekend (just not sure which day yet). If you can make it down I'd be more than happy to let you try mine out.

I had the same issue -- couldn't find one locally to try, so I bit the bullet, and just ordered it. Once my LDS got it in (and everyone there had checked it out, out of curiosity) they ordered in a few of both the Dimension i3 and Lotus i3.

Let me know if you want to take me up on my offer...

Back
Top Bottom