Why dive wrecks like Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct me if I am wrong but are you the same rovic who was considering not getting his OW certification in june/july of 2011, due to concerns related to safety of the sport?
hello!,,i'm totally new to scuba, i've been thinking of scuba diving since the last five years,,,i'm really skeptical in getting into diving because of safety reasons, my question is,... is diving dangerous??...the reason i asked this is because i've heard about decompression issue(???,i'm not sure if i spell it right tho,,,i heard stories about divers being paralyzed because of too much underwater pressure. i mean if i enter this hobby and eventually be the cause of my death,i'd rather not,,,BUT i really want to try it,,money is not an issue for me,,i want to buy the fullface diving mask(because i don't want to stress my jaw),i don't care how much is it,,i want to buy every gadget that will make me extra safe under the water. all i really want to make sure is the safety-ness of this hobby....pls help and enlighten my mind.
sorry guys,,,i might postpone my entering into scuba diving for the meantime, after reading the news about an American instructor who died in Subic bay. who apparently has 30+ years of experience. i was just so shocked that accidents indeed still happens even to the most expert divers...R.I.P Steve and to the other diver who didn't survive.
..and thanks to all of you who gave me useful diving infos....i appreciate your help..
But he's come a long ways....
you need to wear black socks whenever you dive,, sharks are afraid of black socks,,,it's proven
You can't get this sort of thing on TV...!!

I dive New Jersey, therefore I am..............................................................................................a wrecker. And I LOVE 'EM !!!:viking:

Centrals, i can tell that you are a neophyte diver, you really are not familiar with those diving spots i aforementioned.i didn't say that there were wrecks in there, because i really hate going to wrecks, just not my tempo! i like the coron palawan dive because of the water temp. and the clarity of the water.
if you ever go on those diving spots, just give me a haller,, i'll show you around,let's meet and i'll be delightful to teach you the proper way of diving.

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

....What??? 44degree water?? are you nuts?? that's a suicide,,don't you know that if you submerge your body in a very cold water your lungs might collapse?,,if you had the chance to explore Doria, you'll notice that the holes inside the ship are tight and difficult to maneuver especially if you are wearing two 02 tanks. i think divers never learn, they still explore the Doria even if it endagers their lives.....stubborn!!

I would like to just chime in on this one..I have never been to the Doria, but would love to. I Like to think myself as a cold blackwater diver I love it and cant get En'f of it!
The coldest water I have been in is 34 degree in a smi-dry. And the above is a joke what is the point of living if you dont live? If it were not for the great's of early tech diving we would not have the knowledge in advanced diving, gear and medical.
And I'm going to venture an opinion that rovic must be a very boring dive buddy?

Correct me if I am wrong but are you the same rovic who was considering not getting his OW certification in june/july of 2011, due to concerns related to safety of the sport?

Hey! You're right there it is!

by rovic July 17th, 2011, 02:54 PM Replies19Views1,011
Hi ,i want to try scuba diving pls help!...
hello!,,i'm totally new to scuba, i've been thinking of scuba diving since the last five years,,,i'm really skeptical in getting into diving because of safety reasons, my question is,... is diving...​

And thats funny right their I dont care who you are! :rofl3:

This might help answer the question: www.settingthehook.org
(web site to "Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria")
Fair warning - if not for the complete applicability to this thread, this would clearly fall under the "shameless plug" department (I'm the author).
Cheers,
Peter

:popcorn:Don, thanks for catching that.

I laughed out loud.

For divers like myself, the Doria and other wrecks like it will represent the cumulation of hundreds or even thousands of hours of training and practice. In essence, the destination is important but the journey is much more so.

Saxatilis,

You hit the nail on the head. I first dove the Doria in 1983, and my journey with the wreck has turned out not at all as expected, but it has still been an immensely satisfying experience all the same. My journey with the Doria over thirty years has had such an impact on my life that I wrote a book about it, Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria, just published in December 2011.

Setting the Hook, a Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria.
SETTING THE HOOK by Peter M. Hunt | Kirkus Book Reviews

I think you might enjoy the read.

Peter Hunt

The question I have always had about this dive, is why do it? There is nothing there but deep dark cold water, current, and a pile of junk. There is no history there, all the mystery about the wreck has been explored, why do it? Is it the deep dark cold water and current that motivates divers to make this dive? Or is it the pile of junk (if it's the junk, you can walk around any auto wrecking yard and see the same thing at almost no risk)?
I hate to say it, but I think it comes down to bragging rights. I have watched the tech community since the early 90's and you would think after 20 years it would have grown out of this mentality. Dora is not Everest, it's a pile of junk sitting in 200 ft. of current filled, cold dark water. This dive is not worth anyone's life.

You just don't get it.

A Wreck Divers' Perspective:
The question I have always had about this dive, is why do it? There is nothing there but funny colored rocks, wavy stuff, and slimy fish. There is no human relationship there, all the mystery about the reef have been explored, why do it? Is it the shallow warm water and pretty rocks that motivates divers to make this dive? Or is it the funny colored fishes (if it's the fishes, you can walk around any aquarium and see the same thing at almost no risk)?

I hate to say it, but I think it comes down to bragging rights. I have watched the rec community since the early 90's and you would think after 20 years it would have grown out of this mentality. They're not on Nat Geo, it's a pile of color faded coral sitting in 20 ft. of tepid water. This dive is not worth anyone's life.

They just don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom