how to forecast weather conditions and vis for scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
just wondering what to look for especially for shore dives in knowing when to dive and not such as conditions like current too strong. i know high wind and high swell is a nono but what about visibility? i basically go off if it hasnt rained for a few days then vis should be good but i am not always correct.
knowing how to forecast and guess the vis for the day based off weather forecast will help.

That's pretty location specific question! Maybe someone from the Sydney area like Bowlofpetunias here on SB can give you local pointers.

I use wind forecast websites like Windmapper.com to help predict whether a lot of silt will be kicked up in Humber Bay, Lake Ontario. Poor viz if winds are from the south for example.

Time of year can effect viz also, here in the Great Lakes winter means less algae and better viz.

I use local tide tables (found online). Generally the current is higher at high tides and lower at slack tides (correct me if I'm wrong). Depending on the site, though, it might still have a large current at slack tide. Then I check the weather online too.

To check visibility, I just dive. I don't know any alternate way, other than asking people. Rain, of course, can affect surface visibility, but it has less effect as you go below 30fsw. Time of year can affect visibility (here, in winter, visibility is much better than in summer because tiny plants/animals die off).

Agree with the above responses. I find seabreeze.com.au the best site for advise on tides, swell and wind strengths and directions. As far as currents and vis - think it's best to just get to know the sites as best as possible, read up on them for any comments from people who know them well. After rain vis is generally worse, yes, but the location off shore of the EAC and other large currents make a big difference too, and don't know how to predict those to the sort of accuracy needed.

The other thing, though, is that we are blessed with generally good conditions and a good range of dive options here in Sydney. Vis is generally not too critical, and I've not yet experienced any vis worse than about 3-5m, still good enough to maintain buddy contact and get a good look at the reef.

Nitro, who do you dive with, btw? I'm starting to amass a good list of buddies around the area and happy to take others along too.

I made a start in finding out information by buying a book on shore diving for my local area. There is a lot of information lacking so I have been adding to what I found ever since.

You can also google the names of dive sites and find out information that way.

A good site for your local area is: Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

hey cam i just dive with one of my best friends from school and we did our OW together in manly. I have the money to go diving everyday just hiring tanks lol whereas he is a bit tighter on cash
where do you usually dive and how etc? id be happy to dive with others

also i discovered that michaelmcfadyen site a while back, very helpful, such a large array of information and a great read for any diver in the area.

Most places, it's a crap shoot.

I have found that to be more common mostly, some days its good some its not, trial and error i guess. too many variables involved but knowing the sites will help in the longrun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom