Confess your SCUBA sins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almost every dive I come out of the water and put my mask on my forehead, just to be contrary. Its actually something i think we should tell new divers "If you are on your own and you are in trouble and need assistance, put your mask on your forehead and a padi instructor will appear shortly to tell you off"

Another one that always tends to get gasps of shock and horror is that I still dive the old RNPL tables that pre-date the original BSAC 88 tables. So I shoot up at 15m a minute (being sure to stay behind the smallest bubble of course), calculate repeat dives by halfing or quartering my previous dive time and have never done a safety stop in my life, yet amazingly im still alive despite my computer occasionally telling me im going to die :D

But perhaps my greatest sin is that I used the small bailout bottle on my horse collar to bail myself out :D

EDIT: Actually thinking about it my GREATEST sin would probably be when i got a firemans full face mask and reg and went diving with it :D

Here are a few of mine:

1. I've dove in and around wrecks without taking a wreck specialty course.
2. I've dove deeper than 130 ft. without taking a deep specialty course.
3. I've been diving from a boat without taking the boat specialty course.
4. I've done drift diving without taking the drift diver specialty course.
5. I've done night dives without taking a night diver specialty course.
6. I've dove in caverns without taking the cavern specialty course.
7. I do underwater videography but never took that course as well.
8. Finally, I have read the National Geographic but never taken the National Geographic Diver course.

Some of these suggest a new thread: "PADI sins". Speaking of that, I too put the mask on the forehead--When solo shore diving entering and exiting. You SEE better on those slippery seaweed rocks! Nearest PADI instructor is 50 miles away. And while ON the boat--guess I'm not panicking there....Correction--on a private boat. Never on a charter...OMG.

Well, I'm thinking. Only thing I can come up with yet is I do tuck my octo under the cumberbun. It's not that it dangles, but I am always very close to the bottom looking for shells and our shore dives here can be extremely muddy, so I don't want this in the octo. I only do this when diving solo, not when a buddy might have to grab the octo. I suppose I'd have to pull it out of there to use myself if ever the need arose-but that can be done in a second.

Why not take a bit of bungie cord and just bungie it around your neck, so it's right up against your chest and you can always find it. If you are still dragging it in the muck while it's mounted there, then you have bigger issues then where your octo is :)

Lets keep this to a sins only thread, no suggestions or critisisms please

I dove past 60 feet as a OW diver
I entered an overhead environment
I flew after diving
In NY I buy gear online
I will prod the occasional octopus on video and then get yelled at by every SB member and their mother, and brother
I wear non ditchable weights - In my BC pockets
My weights are not designed for scuba diving

I clip mine across my chest. I find that when it is clipped close to my left hip it does in fact dangle a bit (as I mentioned, I'm usually right close to the bottom). Also, with the console in front of me it is handy when using the compass.

I don't actually use a console but I can understand what you mean. If you click to my profile picture then you'll see a picture of me diving a single-tank config with the spg clipped off on the lower left. You'll see that it's the only thing on my rig that looks out of position.

As far as solo diving, I don't know if it is a sin. Even PADI doesn't say you should NEVER do it, but that you should be experienced, aware of possible dangers, and willing to accept the risk. AND, of course, take the Self Reliant Diver course--I haven't done that (not offered here anyway)--so that's a PADI sin.

True. As a PADI instructor I'm sure they would consider me a bad example... and there have been moments that I question my own wisdom.... Making a solo dive on a North Sea wreck with about 30 minutes of deco (first in, last out) was one... and spending 45 minutes searching solo for a lost (and probably dead) diver (btw not from my group) is another.

R..

And you call yourself an instructor!

... that's Mr. Instructor to you, pal ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I did not surface last time I lost my buddy, because he didn't surface the time before when I did :shakehead:. He did retaliate by sneaking up on me and grabbing my fins this time

I go into deco all the time:no:

Lets keep this to a sins only thread, no suggestions or critisisms please
Well, momma always said the easiest way to get me to do something was to tell me not to do it ... :wink:

I dove past 60 feet as a OW diver
I dove to 137 feet as an OW diver ... I didn't go that deep again until I took Advance Nitrox ... some 1400 dives later ...

I entered an overhead environment
Me too ... a swimthrough in Belize. I had no idea at the time I wasn't supposed to ... :depressed:

In NY I buy gear online
In New York? Why not just walk down to LeisurePro and buy it in person?

I will prod the occasional octopus on video and then get yelled at by every SB member and their mother, and brother
Oh now that's an exaggeration ... my mother didn't yell at you ... she just told you not to do it again ... :eyebrow:

My weights are not designed for scuba diving
Whaddya wearing ... clip-on kettlebells or something?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i....touch things !!!!!

c'mon guys,underwater things!!!!
wrecks,don't touch signs,dead coral,dead fish.....etc.
you should see my freakin' gloves...
all of them...
i'm so ashamed
not
have fun
sinner yaeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom