Short transit time in SIN for travel buddy - will she make it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ojo

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Garuda changed my travel buddy's flight time to an hour earlier going from SIN to CGK, such that if all goes perfectly,
she will arrive from EWR at 5:20 pm and fly SIN-CJK (and is checked through on to SOQ) on Garuda at 7:25 p.m.
They require luggage check-in an hour ahead.
From what I've read, if the SIA flight is on time, that won't be a problem as customs is speedy (though she has to deplane
and collect baggage), and I think both arrival and departure are terminal 3 (any comments on that?).
Looks like SIA's track record for that flight is good, but it still seems a bit of roulette. Anyone done this?
All the alternatives are nightmares of one sort or another, especially because she's not experienced with 3rd world travel.:)
What do you think? Would you take the risk? Thanks.

1. Singapore is NOT a third world.
2. SQ has far better reputation than air lines from USA.
3. GR has every right to change the schedule.
4. The only issue is using different airline for connection with only 3hrs to spare.
5. The usual advice for travelling to Sorong is allowing plenty of time for flight connection.

Three reasons to book a later flight, even if it means overnight at SIN airport.

- two hours from int'l arrival to domestic connection in my experience, way too many things that can go wrong
- I don't think you can check bags through to Sorong. You will be picking up on arrival at Jakarta, to clear customs with your luggage then re-checking them to Sorong. Again, to risky with only 2 hrs.
- Overnight in Singapore airport is convenient, very cheap, and allows a day to help with jet lag!

I've travelled these routes several times, and would NEVER rely on a 2hr connection like you describe.

Garuda changed my travel buddy's flight time to an hour earlier going from SIN to CGK, such that if all goes perfectly,
she will arrive from EWR at 5:20 pm and fly SIN-CJK (and is checked through on to SOQ) on Garuda at 7:25 p.m.
They require luggage check-in an hour ahead.
From what I've read, if the SIA flight is on time, that won't be a problem as customs is speedy (though she has to deplane
and collect baggage), and I think both arrival and departure are terminal 3 (any comments on that?).
Looks like SIA's track record for that flight is good, but it still seems a bit of roulette. Anyone done this?
All the alternatives are nightmares of one sort or another, especially because she's not experienced with 3rd world travel.:)
What do you think? Would you take the risk? Thanks.
It’s likely possible if all goes as scheduled (out of your control) - but too tight for my comfort.

Do you have a feasible/confirmed contingency plan if your buddy misses the connection to CGK?

When I did a Raja Ampat liveaboard last December, I booked SQ from EWR-SIN-CGK and then Garuda from CGK to SOQ. I’ll point out that SQ had checked my bag through to CGK so I did not have to retrieve it at SIN - so not sure how long that process takes?

For my itinerary, the SQ connection to CGK was tight so I overnighted at the Crowne Plaza attached to Changi and then flew SQ on to CGK the next morning - it was a nice break in the travel and I got to wander around Changi and check out the Jewel waterfall and grab some good food at the mall as well.

I’d recommend your buddy adjust plans plan and overnight at Changi unless they have a confirmed contingency that will still get them to the final destination in time I’d they miss their connection.

Centrals, you either misread or misunderstood my post. Of course Singapore is not the third world - that is why they are able to spped people through the red tape. Jakarta, on the other hand, is.

It’s likely possible if all goes as scheduled (out of your control) - but too tight for my comfort.

Do you have a feasible/confirmed contingency plan if your buddy misses the connection to CGK?

When I did a Raja Ampat liveaboard last December, I booked SQ from EWR-SIN-CGK and then Garuda from CGK to SOQ. I’ll point out that SQ had checked my bag through to CGK so I did not have to retrieve it at SIN - so not sure how long that process takes?

For my itinerary, the SQ connection to CGK was tight so I overnighted at the Crowne Plaza attached to Changi and then flew SQ on to CGK the next morning - it was a nice break in the travel and I got to wander around Changi and check out the Jewel waterfall and grab some good food at the mall as well.

I’d recommend your buddy adjust plans plan and overnight at Changi unless they have a confirmed contingency that will still get them to the final destination in time I’d they miss their connection.
Thanks, Joneill. The problem is that even if she stays overnight in SIN - far preferable - the flight connections the next day are such that I would have to wait for her for two days in Sorong. Which is really stretching it.
She will probably do individual legs on Jetstar and Batik, getting into Sorong late enough the next day that we will still miss the first day/night at homestay. Garuda has told her the two hrs between flights is not enough. It it were me, I'd probably chance it, and run like Hades.:)

Three reasons to book a later flight, even if it means overnight at SIN airport.

- two hours from int'l arrival to domestic connection in my experience, way too many things that can go wrong
- I don't think you can check bags through to Sorong. You will be picking up on arrival at Jakarta, to clear customs with your luggage then re-checking them to Sorong. Again, to risky with only 2 hrs.
- Overnight in Singapore airport is convenient, very cheap, and allows a day to help with jet lag!

I've travelled these routes several times, and would NEVER rely on a 2hr connection like you describe.
Thanks Diver Rick. I think Jakarta told her that her checked luggage in Singapore would go through to Sorong. But sounds like you have had a different experience - did you book through from SIN to SOQ on Garuda and still had to collect bags and all in CGQ? That's all about to be moot, it seems...
she will have to fly in the middle of the night in order to get to SOQ by 2 p.m. the next day; I will have arrived at 6 a.m., and we'll have to stay over in SOQ to catch the ferry the next day. Oh well.

BTW DR, in your experience are SIA arrival and Garuda departure both in Terminal 3? Looks like that, but I'd like confirmation from someone who has done it.

Centrals, you either misread or misunderstood my post. Of course Singapore is not the third world - that is why they are able to spped people through the red tape. Jakarta, on the other hand, is.
I have to say that I was quite impressed with the new terminal in the Jakarta airport - it’s a very nice, roomy terminal with plenty of shopping and dining options and the staff were all super helpful. You’d never think third world based on the airport!

Thanks Diver Rick. I think Jakarta told her that her checked luggage in Singapore would go through to Sorong. But sounds like you have had a different experience - did you book through from SIN to SOQ on Garuda and still had to collect bags and all in CGQ? That's all about to be moot, it seems...
she will have to fly in the middle of the night in order to get to SOQ by 2 p.m. the next day; I will have arrived at 6 a.m., and we'll have to stay over in SOQ to catch the ferry the next day. Oh well.
Could she come a day earlier and wait for you? Hotels in Sorong like Swissbel are pretty inexpensive for 1 night!

Back
Top Bottom