Question on Tight International Transit Time (Travel to Sorong through CGK/NRT. United Just Cancelled Flight EWR-HND )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your response! Now I feel more comfortable with the transit time and hopefully will get the new flights sorted out soon.

I wouldn't even worry about 2:45 leaving someplace like Miami. And fortunately, Tokyo is not like Miami. One is very civilized and very much has their stuff together. And one ...does not.

I haven’t responded to this since I didn’t want to jinx it, but I came through Narita yesterday on way back from Jakarta and made it on a 60 minute connection time. My bags also made it. I think my choice when I booked many months ago was either this super tight connection or a super long one and I just stuck with the tight connection since I was on my way home and it wouldn’t have been the end of the world (ie no diving missed) if I got stuck at the airport for 12 or 24 hours.

Something slightly odd was that I had go through security between my arriving ANA flight from Jakarta and my departing United flight to the US. I am fairly certain I didn’t have to do that on the way to Jakarta from the US or the last few times I have connected through Narita going to/from Guam (the prior 4-5 transits or so I pretty sure I just went straight from arrival gate to departure gate without going through security). I actually used to have to go through security when transiting to/from Guam a few years back but I thought that issue had gone away. Not certain if something changed in past month or if maybe inbound flights from certain countries like the US can skip going through security again and others (Indonesia ) are treated differently or what the deal is (maybe there is some quirk in Narita airport layout based on arrival gate where some transiting passengers need to clear security and others don’t ). The inbound ANA gate was a long way. from my departure gate. It was a fairly long walk to the security checkpoint and the United gate was still a fairly long walk after I cleared security.

The security line was actually 100 meters long (they actually have signage showing the distance , so I am not guessing ). As far as I could tell it was all connecting passengers. They were pulling people with short connections out of line (Iike me) otherwise I would have missed my flight . It wasn’t a battle to get pulled out of line , just told a roving airport employee my flight number and he knew it was a tight connection and he pulled me out of the big line. He also pulled numerous other people with tight connections , so I kind of gather they do it frequently.

Bottom line is, I also think 2 hours is fine—especially if on your way to Jakarta where my guess is you will just walk from your inbound United flight to your next gate without having to go through security. If you have to go through security on the return it may chew up some of your layover time , but if your inbound flight is delayed my guess is you can get someone to pull you out of line like they did me. Just passing along the rest of my experience FWIW. Would also appreciate if anyone chimes in about when you do (and don’t) have to go through security when just transiting through Narita from one international flight to the next.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom