Log books -what do you use ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do the same thing as Starcrusier. Cost = 0 (except for some blank sheets of paper). I don't even print the logs anymore except just before I go on a trip and they want to see a recent log page.

Initially I used NAUI, then PADI logbooks and then starting last year I found on the Internet some examples of pages created by other divers and decided to adopt one of the model (sheet). The sheet fits the standard diving logbook, can be locally printed, cover air and nitrox including EAD, CNS, etc and I can record two successive dives on a single sheet. I am also using Suunto Dive Manager but lately have had problem downloading dives from my Vyper (problem with the USB cable). Very recently, I started using the Shearwater Predator dive manager but still keep a paper copy. The advantage of the paper sheets is that I can decide which one I want to retain in the binder and leave the other store at home.

I've been using Dive Log on my iPhone. I've never logged a dive on paper outside of a PADI class.

I logged my first 250 or so dives on paper, using the PADI sheets. Then I went electronic, and these days, I'm using DiveLog 5.0, which seems like a pretty decent program. The best one I've used, though, is the logging software from Uwatec -- it was fabulous.

I seem to be in the minority who still use paper logs, what can I say there's just something I like about being able to physically flip through my dive history. I also like to be able to write my thoughts or draw pictures immediately after the dives. I originally made my own template using a word processing program but found this template here on SB last year:

View attachment JD_DIVE_LOG_PAGES.pdf

I've printed them on both sides of a standard 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper which gives me 4 dives per piece of paper once they're folded in half, 3 hole punched and put in the day planner I use as my log book.

I'm not sure if I uploaded the template correctly so if it doesn't work, let me know and I'll figure out how to point you to it.

I seem to be in the minority who still use paper logs, what can I say there's just something I like about being able to physically flip through my dive history. I also like to be able to write my thoughts or draw pictures immediately after the dives. I originally made my own template using a word processing program but found this template here on SB last year:

View attachment 95641

I've printed them on both sides of a standard 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper which gives me 4 dives per piece of paper once they're folded in half, 3 hole punched and put in the day planner I use as my log book.

I'm not sure if I uploaded the template correctly so if it doesn't work, let me know and I'll figure out how to point you to it.

This is great! Thanks for sharing :)

I'm still a fan of paper as well! I do have one of those zippered dive log binders to keep everything in one place, but any three ring binder of that size would work just fine!

Once I filled up my Padi log, I used the same printed pages as the poster above for a while - but after Dive 100 or so, I got tired of wasting one of those half sheets on each dive.
Here in Guam we go out nearly every weekend (at least) so the diving gets kind of repetitive - I started buying blank notepaper that fits into the same binder.
When I want to draw pictures or wax poetic about Palau, for ex, I can use lots of space - but if it's a local dive that I've done 20 other times, I just make the basic notes (air, weight, vis, buddy, animals) and can fit 5 dives on a page......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom