IST/Proline GP4000 Compass Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfrensley

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I've been diving for months now with an IST GP4000 computer - for the most part, it is a great thing. However, I've been noticing lately that the built-in digital compass seems to get wrong headings.

As you are aware, we here in SCUBA diving do not have a sense of humor that we were aware of when it comes to compasses that give wrong headings above water, at the water surface, or at any depth under water that we can think of.

I've tried the calibration routine - which appears to be:

1. Push little button.
  2. Turn in circles until it says "OK".

to no avail. I just got through trying this out again, and compared the headings to Good Ol' Magnetic Mechanical mounted on my underwater writing slate - while the mechanical device points to approximate north-west-ish correctly, the digital device indicates south-west-ish.

The question: has anyone here had any experience with this computer's digital compass that includes:

1. The compass functioning correctly?
  2. The compass malfunctioning?

Any other feedback on digital computer compasses is appreciated.

I don't want to have to send it back to IST for repair or update, with corresponding loss of dive time, if I can help it!

Unfortunately, this is the same computer that was initially put out by DiveRite and then 3 or 4 other companies. The compasses, while in theory a good idea, haven't been extremely accurate. Best option is to send it back and see if it will be covered under warranty and maybe your new one will be better.

If you had to pick, which computer would you suggest? The gp4000 or the nitek trio?

If you had to pick, which computer would you suggest? The gp4000 or the nitek trio?

It looks (from my limited research) like the IST GP 4000 and the Dive Rite NiTek Trio are in fact the same computer, just marketed under different brand names by different companies (with an unreliable compass no matter what brand name).

Right, Wayne?

Hi!

I've been diving for months now with an IST GP4000 computer - for the most part, it is a great thing. However, I've been noticing lately that the built-in digital compass seems to get wrong headings.

As you are aware, we here in SCUBA diving do not have a sense of humor that we were aware of when it comes to compasses that give wrong headings above water, at the water surface, or at any depth under water that we can think of.

I've tried the calibration routine - which appears to be:

1. Push little button.
  2. Turn in circles until it says "OK".

to no avail. I just got through trying this out again, and compared the headings to Good Ol' Magnetic Mechanical mounted on my underwater writing slate - while the mechanical device points to approximate north-west-ish correctly, the digital device indicates south-west-ish.

The question: has anyone here had any experience with this computer's digital compass that includes:

1. The compass functioning correctly?
  2. The compass malfunctioning?

Any other feedback on digital computer compasses is appreciated.

I don't want to have to send it back to IST for repair or update, with corresponding loss of dive time, if I can help it!
I have had the GP4000 for a few months now. I gave my "old" GP3000 to my partner. She loves her 'used' GP 3000 and it continues for work perfectly. The GP4000 is another story though.
First the compass seems to mind its own business and does not care whether or not it agrees with other compasses; it rarely will. Actually, the only time that it comes close is right after you re-calibrate (adjust declination) the compass. Then it will be within 10-15 degrees of an analog compass. I haven't done the comparison with an analog underwater, some minutes after adjustment, so i cannot say for how long the GP4000 compass will remain accurate that day. I can tell you that, if you compare the GP4000 to a another compass the day after you recalibrate....it will again not be in agreement until you recalibrate it at that time. Would i trust the compass on my GP4000 +? Not on your life! But that's just one problem with the GP4000+...

One a dive about 6 weeks ago, i was enjoying a drift and a moderate down current with my partner...who was wearing the 'used' GP3000 i gave her when i "upgraded" to a GP4000. I checked my GP4000 at about 60 ft....no prob. Then in the building current about 20 second later....it said 80 ft...no problem. Now feeling a pretty strong current, i instinctively looked at my wrist....BLANK....nothing on the GP4000+....moving my wrist because it might just be a wierd angle with the LCD screen....Nope...BLANK! not blinking. BLANK. I quickly pull up my analog gauges and see i'm not at 105 feet, but without a working dive comp, i have no clue as how long i have been at that depth...other than a minute or two since checking at 80 ft..and i have no idea of how much NDL time i have. I signal to my partner to come closer so i can see her 'old'...yet dependable GP3000+. Yep....105 ft and about 3 mins of NDL left....on her dive comp. We ascend a little to pick up some NDL and finish the dive on her dive comp and me looking at my spg for air reserve.

Told my LDS of the problem and he offered to take the dive comp out on a couple of test dives. we all agreed that there was no battery issue...at least no symbol was showing. After a couple of test dives and not repeat of blank clockface, it was declared OK to dive (even though problem has not been evaluatied). I dove another couple of weeks with it...maybe 10 dives and, at about 50 ft i notice the numbers fading but coming back now and then....about 10 mins later, at about 60-75 feet total failure again. blank face. The first time, I ended up resetting the dive comp on board and it came back, but did not record the dive on which it failed. This time, resetting worked again, but it also recorded the dive on which the face dimmed and then finally failed. I called and told the LDS about the second failure. He said bring it in and he will send it back to IST.

Before i could get back to the LDS, i used my GP4000 one last time. it worked until i got back on the boat. then the display went nuts and displayed every possible letter and number and symbol. Resetting "worked" that time too. But when i called the LDS and told him about this third time he said. Bring it in and he could give me a new one on the spot. He did and I'm happy. One side effect of getting a brand new GP4000+ is that the compass seems to work now. only set the declination once, when i turned it on the first time...you are supposed to then. So far, over several days, north has been in the same direction it always has been.

And this story is just one more reason to buy from your LDS. Mine, Carabao Dive Center in Davao City, Philippines has been great.

Battery.. 99% of all problems with this computer are due to a low battery... had issues with mine after 3 months. It was driving me nuts so I contacted IST and they told me to swap the battery. Problem solved :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom