Units of Measure in Diving?

What units of measure do you use most (not necessarily prefer) in diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those unfamiliar with SI (Système International d'unités), commonly called the Metric System, here are some conversion factors:

One Standard Atmosphere equals:
SI Units
101,325 Pascals
101.325 KPa or Kilo Pascals or 1000x
0.101325 MPa or Mega Pascals or 1 Million x
1.01325 Bar
10.0627586096078 Meters of Sea Water
Imperial Units
14.695948775 PSI
33.899524252 Feet of Fresh Water at 4° C
33.014299900156 Feet of Seawater based on a density of 64.1 Lbs/Ft³​

1 bar = 100,000 pascals
1 atm = 101,325 pascals

Weights are always pounds. Depth is meters half the time and feet the other half (two computers, not setable). Pressure is usually psi but I do have one SPG in bars.

I use metres, bar and pounds. Most of my weights are in pounds so I tend to use that instead of kg when writing down my weight.

I have no problems switching to imperial though (even though metric is superior), and would depending on who I was diving with. In Fiji me and my buddy were the only non Americans on our boat most of the time and they gave dive briefings using imperial.

I use metres, bar and pounds. Most of my weights are in pounds so I tend to use that instead of kg when writing down my weight.

I have no problems switching to imperial though (even though metric is superior), and would depending on who I was diving with. In Fiji me and my buddy were the only non Americans on our boat most of the time and they gave dive briefings using imperial.

+1 for metres, bar and pounds

i use metric unless i'm diving in north america whereupon i switch to imperial during actual dive time. then convert to metric for my log. i remember seeing my first american dive buddy's eyes bulge out of his head when i showed my gauge displaying 170bar. it took him a second to realise it wasn't in psi

Actually I prefer to have my volumes in megaparsec barns and my depths in rods and furlongs.

As a scientist, I expect to see meters, kilograms, pascals/bar/atm, liters
As an Ameture machinist and mechanic, its all in feet, pounds, psi, and cubic feet.
As a barfly and occasional crazy. I prefer my measurments in slugs, hands, cubits, cables, leagues, fathoms, hogsheads, pecks, bushels, pints, quarts, and occasionally, eyeballed, as the keg's tapped, or as the crow flies.

You forgot gills ... :D

Actually I prefer to have my volumes in megaparsec barns and my depths in rods and furlongs.
Been doing the kessel-run lately?

Im all metric, since well, I live in a part of the world thats not holding on for its bare life to feet and inches because we "dont have a relationship to meters" :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom