Vyper Air and similars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XICO

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi
i just dive on holldays, and i just have aprox 30 dives.
i'm thinking to buy my first dive computer, the vyper air, which is not a cheap one.

Do anyone know similars? Or more addaptives to my level?

Thanks
xico

Hi
i just dive on holldays, and i just have aprox 30 dives.
i'm thinking to buy my first dive computer, the vyper air, which is not a cheap one.

Do anyone know similars? Or more addaptives to my level?...

Check out our Dive Computer Research Tool

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Hi XICO,

The DiveaNav link is an interesting one. It lists a dozen hoseless air integrated computers. Your major decision may be between decompression algorithm (DSAT, Buhlmann, RGBM), multiple gases, and a compass. I have the Oceanic VT3. I like the liberal decompression algorithm and occasionally do accelerated decompression with 100% O2 requiring a 2nd gas. I dive with a separate compass so that is not an issue.

The Suunto computers with the RGBM algorithm are the most conservative of the field, that may or may not be important to you. All of these computers are of high quality.

Good luck in your selection,

Craig

From my own experience, I recently purchased the Vyper Air and wished I had purchased it a long time ago. Within the first dive after purchasing my Vyper Air, I was already able to extend my dive time. My prior computer had a simple SPG, so other than knowing how much air I had left, I was not really able to guage how I was using my air. With the Vyper Air, with the first few dives it almost became a game for me to see how high I could make the remaining dive time go. I also like having the compass in there. Making bookmarks, and then having the computer show you how you are doing relative to your original direction is really cool. There are various alarms that while I have not completely set them up, I get the value of having them in there, like the alarm for the half-way point on the gas.

Now, for some of the things that I an not as thrilled about:
The old computer would attempt to show how much residual nitrogen was in my
system, so I had a better idea of how much SI was required.
The computer has a warning for "Extended Surface Interval", but the manuals tell you nothing about what that means. Presumably when it is on, then you need to de-gas more.
The software leaves some to be desired.

I use a Vyper air, great tool, yes it's conservative, but not that much when compared to my buddie running a Galileo. The Vyper is simple to use, great functionality and has nice big figures you can see easily, recommended.

The computer has a warning for "Extended Surface Interval", but the manuals tell you nothing about what that means.
From the Vyper Air manual:

Diver Attention Symbol – Advice to Extend Surface Interval Some patterns of diving cumulatively add a higher risk of DCI; for example, dives with short surface intervals, repetitive dives deeper than earlier ones, multiple ascents, and substantial multiday diving. When this is detected, in addition to adapting the decompression algorithm, the Suunto RGBM model will in some circumstances also advise, with the Diver Attention Symbol, that you extend your surface interval.

You have to read the whole manual.

Anything ten years old or any superseded basic computer or basic bottom timer which will out last the others and help you understand through some calculation, what is supposedly going on. User swap battery and cheap so more money for air. No use in boat on way back sound like slot machine throw overboard.
Come on Spain. Death to vuvuzela.
Ask the goats.

no Suunto Vytec DS ?.....

So far we have coded in hour database ~70 different models and I estimate we have another ~30 to go.
Priority of what goes in the tool is manufacturers driven ..... that is why Vytec DS is not there .... yet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom