Dive Computers---Not if, But When!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azsilver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dive computers fail or malfunction.

So it's only a Question of when and how to prepare for that time.

Which is better? :
1. Dive with one computer and back up with an analog depth and pressure gauge.

2. To dive with two computers and back up with an analog depth and pressure gauge.

3. Or dive with two air integrated computers. (Take the analog depth and pressure gauges along to use if (when) one of the computers malfunction).

Yes I do refer to tables when dive planning---but with repetitive dives on multidays---I am off the tables by the second or third dive.

On a pool test dive with my new Uwatec Air Z nitrox wrist—it malfunctioned. It is now at ScubaPro in California. This was my first dive with it.

I am planning on getting a Suunto Vytec air integrated or Vyper not air integrated. My husband thinks getting a backup computer for each of us is over kill.

Yes, I want to be prepared!

Going to Cozumel the end of April---can hardly wait and I want to dive and not sit out if (when) my one computer (and only computer) goes south on me.

Thanks! An AZ Diver.

When Computer diving how do you back up your computer?---since they are electronic and do fail!

Waiting to hear from you!

In the situation you're discussing - repetitive recreational diving for many days that can put any diver off the tables - having a backup for your computer would seem a reasonable precaution. If your backup is tables, then the loss of your computer will mean you have to seriously scale your diving back. You figure out your own risk/reward ratio.

In a situation like yours, I carry a second computer with me so that if one fails I have a second record of my diving and can continue uninterrupted.

I'm not certain I understand your second question.

azsilver:
I am planning on getting a Suunto Vytec air integrated or Vyper not air integrated. My husband thinks getting a backup computer for each of us is over kill.

As far as overkill, does he mean backup computers are overkill in general, or each person having one is overkill? One person having the backup computer means the other person doesn't have a backup computer. Rules about (not) sharing computers would apply to backups too.

#1 should help get you up from the current dive safely, but unless you've been closely tracking things with tables all along that's only so much help for your next repetitive dive. #2 (my choice) allows you to easily keep diving a computer on subsequent dives without sitting out or cutting back. Having one of the computers air integrated can't hurt if you like those, but 2 really seems like overkill (2 on hoses on top of the analog gauges, 2 hoseless and maybe interferring, one of each?!)

"As far as overkill, does he mean backup computers are overkill in general, or each person having one is overkill? One person having the backup computer means the other person doesn't have a backup computer. Rules about (not) sharing computers would apply to backups too."

No, He thinks computers are OK! I just got him his first computer and he is getting use to it. He just dove tables. I dive with a computer and backup with tables--but I want more for a week long dive trip to Cozumel.

I know the rule about not sharing computers and not sharing a backup---but---he thinks sharing a backup would be OK!
and having each of us having a backup computer is Overkill.

I do not agree with that!

Thanks!

azsilver:

Which is better? :

2. To dive with two computers and back up with an analog depth and pressure gauge.

3. Or dive with two air integrated computers. (Take the analog depth and pressure gauges along to use if (when) one of the computers malfunction).

Yes I do refer to tables when dive planning---but with repetitive dives on multidays---I am off the tables by the second or third dive.

On a pool test dive with my new Uwatec Air Z nitrox wrist—it malfunctioned. It is now at ScubaPro in California. This was my first dive with it.

Going to Cozumel the end of April---can hardly wait and I want to dive and not sit out if (when) my one computer (and only computer) goes south on me.

Thanks! An AZ Diver.

Between my wife and I, we have 2 Suunto Vypers and one Uwatek bottom timer. We stay quite glued to each other on all dives, i.e. perfect buddies underwater (and above ... the honeymoon has lasted 2 years so far).

Therefore one backup for the two of us seems sufficient. I normally wear the Uwatek with my Vyper. She wears her own Vyper. Her's is teal, her favorite color. Mine is black, my favorite color. We bring NAUI dive tables along with us to keep our logbooks with, but it is amazing how the dive computers give you more generous repetitive dive times than the tables do!

A couple of thoughts for what they’re worth.

My wife and I have three Cobras between us, none of which have failed after more than a hundred dives and lots of pool time.

What are the consequences of a failure?

For the dive – end the dive safely.
For the trip – according to the PADI table in six hours you’re back to A group. The most you would loose is a day of diving.

In conclusion: Since I have yet to have or see a Cobra failure and the worst case for a failure is missing a single day of diving at most, the cost/complication of a redundant computer is not justified.

The only time I think redundant computers makes sense is in a decompression or overhead dive where you cannot simply and safely end the dive.

I would not “share” a computer or dive with anyone that was. The reason for not sharing a computer has nothing to do with redundancy for an overt failure; if a computer fails the dive is over. Rather by diving the more conservative of the two (yours and you buddy’s), it provides protection against failures that are not easily recognized.

Additionally, the depth profile of two divers can be significantly different which is not compensated for when “sharing” a computer.

Mike

Diving the tables as buddies has 3-4 foot variations in depth between buddies; so as long as you are together, both using a primary computer all the time and the models are not different (losing an aggressively set computer then diving a very aggressive computer the next dive may put you in trouble if you are pushing the NDLs for days on end) I accept 3 computers for 2 buddies.

I would use my buddies back up computer (if mine failed) if we were diving as a close buddy team, both computers had the same level of conservatism in their algorithms and I could not get mine working (change the battery, reset, etc.).

This all said I carry 2 computers for myself if doing day after day of repetitive dives.

In Cozumel you will be diving pretty square profiles.

azsilver:

Which is better? :

Thanks! An AZ Diver.

#1 - and it's so easy to do. I use a Citizen Aqualand for timer and depth, and I've added a "mini" scubapro SPG to my rig (which I keep tucked in and outta the way) for such a problem (although I've never actually experienced it).

I still believe that a Backup computer for each diver is a good idea! Especially since my New Uwatec Air Z nitrox wrist failed to work properly on my first test dive....lets say I am not a confident as I was before. And because our primary computers for both of us are the Air Z's. I now wish I have gotten Suunto Vytec as our primary computers and backed up with Vyper’s. It seems the Suunto's are more reliable!

Thanks, An AZ diver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom