My OW is going to be cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

senseiern

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I go for my OW test next weekend at Hydes Quarry. I am told the water temp is going to be about 44F.

I know I will be freezing my ass off, even though they are providing a 7mill wet suit. I am told the test will be fairly quick due to instructors won't want to be in too long.

So, how can I prepare myself to tolerate the water as much as possible? What can I expect to be my reaction to it?

My dive friend said to get in the water as soon as I get the suit on because out of water it will be real hot. I think he means come back out of the water and listen to the instructor after that, but not sure if he meant that, too.

Wear a 5 or 7mil hood. You lose a large percentage of heat through the top of your head. Heavy gloves will also help. It's going to be a shocker regardless, and definitely keep in mind that you need to add 5 mins to your actual dive time if you are cold during the dive.

Good luck and get warm as soon as possible after your dive.

Carolyn:shark2:

I just did my OW exam in the same temp water as what your going for and found that while in the water I was comfortable but when I got out of the water I was freezing cold. What was suggested to me before I went out for the first dive by a friend was to bring a cooler (or two) filled with hot water as well as a jug to scoop the water up and pour it into the wet suit when on land during the Surface Intervals. That advice was the life saver during the dives and made them bearable :D

Just so you can get an idea, I am 6'1" and 145 lbs (not much natural insulation).
I think you will be comfortable when in the water although I found that my hands always went numb because my gloves had holes in the finger tips and the wrist straps didn't stay fastened. I brushed it off as being yet another joy of using rental gear and now have the highest respect for my dry gloves.

I don't know what the air temp is around you (because I forgot to look where you are) but I'm sure the instructor will guide you as to when to get suited up.

After my OW certification dives I signed up for the Drysuit course and have never turned back :wink:

Lastly, I don't know why they would call the dive early or short because of the temp. They are experienced divers that should know how to dress for the temperature. I would be feeling a little ripped off if they called it because of temp if I was quite content being in longer. I would imagine that they would have dry suits on so if you feel comfortable then they should definably feel comfortable. Thats just my opinion on the situation though...

Enjoy the dives!

I did 50 degrees in a 7 mm a few weeks back, by FAR the coldest the wife and I have ever done. Honestly, the only thing that was bad about it was the shock to your face around the mask, it's a little off-putting and it'll make you feel like you're leaking until you get used to it. Over-all though, it's no big deal. The suits are designed to keep you warm in that environment, and people have been doing it for years. It works.

Your friend was absolutely correct. 80 degrees in a 7mm wetsuit makes you feel like you're in a pressure cooker. Chances are, your instructor will know this and will do everything he can to get you in the water QUICK once you put your gear on, and once you're out you can just pull it down to your waist and it's not too bad. Our 50 degree dive was in 80 degree San Diego, and we kayaked a couple miles out to the site with our 7s around our waist and it was fine.

7 mm wetsuits are a bear to tug on and off, have fun doing 3 dives a day dealing with that! :D

senseiern

44 is cold for diving wet but it's not insane. Also you're into the season where surface time should be kind to you, unlike a blustery November day that may have the same water temperature.

Here is a list of tips aimed and making the most of a cold water dive in a wetsuit.

If it is uncomfortably hot pre-dive the pour some room temperature water down your collar. It will absorb plenty of heat, prime your suit but not deplete you.

Have fun and good luck

Pete

I predict you'll have such a blast the temp won't bother you. Hopefully yor instructor will get the more dexterity required stuff out of the way quickly as fingers tend to stiffen a bit at that temp.
I remember I was so geeked during my OW pretty much nothing could have bothered me. I remember as I was bouncing up and down like a yo-yo on a short string (kINDA HAD SOME BOYANCY ISSUES) just being amazed, I was finally able to do this. It'd be hard to bring down that experience.

I dove my quarry and it was 48 at the bottom. I wore a 7mm suit, hood, and gloves. After about 15 min my fingers were hurting from the cold and I had to come up to the next thermocline. I don't know if I would have lasted as long if I hadn't been playing with my lift bag and an old wheelchair.

As others have stated Having 7MM hood and thick gloves will help. I have yet to dive wet. I live NJ and w did our Checkout dive at dutch Springs last may 1st and the water was about 40F. although dutch doesn't get much warmer on the bottom the surface will. Any way we used Akona 5MM 5finger gloves and our dives lasted about 45-48min each not sure why so long but it's what it was. my hands got cold after about 20 min. I recently Purchased a Set of Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm 5finger gloves and did a dive few weeks ago water 39-40F my hands stayed warm for 30min of the dive and after that began getting cold. I hear alot of people like the thicker 3 finger mitts. for the henderson worked really well for cold waters and did not notice much dexterity loss between the gloves.

Good luck on your dives and as long as the air temp is warm the SI should not be too bad. BUt on colder day's as you friend has mentiond I have seem people do the hot water trick some even put there suits in the water or wet themselves with it before they go in.

I just did my OW this past weekend in 60 deg with a 3mm, no hood or gloves. I was FREEZING. Best of luck to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom