Decision time: Bottom Time or Drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nah, take the trip! Life is uncertain; eat dessert first!

Richard

My buddy and I dive 7mm farmer johns all year round in our cold and murky Pacific NorthWest!!! Regularly 46 to 48 degree Farenheit. Last week we had a bit of that warm Japanese current blow in and it was a warm 52 degrees!!!

I vote for the vacation!!!

Get the dry suits! More and better local diving all year vs. deferring 1 fleeting week in paradise, no contest.

Ditto on getting the drysuits.

You will dive more, enjoy it more and someday come out West and dive with us!

I am spoiled. I have been diving in 75-80 degree water the last four years. One of the first things I buy, after I move to Georgia later this year, is a drysuit. I just can't see putting on a 5-7mm suit when I can just dive dry and have better mobility.

We (Sabbath999 and I) could use the vacation fund to do some warm, salty diving this January, when the midwest is all grey and ice. Needless to say, that's a very attractive idea.

On the other hand, for the same money, we could afford to buy good drysuits for both of us, extending our midwest dive season and letting us go below the thermoclines with greater comfort. That would be great too...but it would make it probably another year before we can afford another trip to the ocean.

Any thoughts?

Buy a drysuit for yourself, use the money you would have spent on the wife's drysuit to fund your vacation to the warm, salty place!

Get the drysuit!!! These days I prioritise gear for local diving well above holidays. Holidays are short lived but stuff for local diving is long term and ongoing. I have happily done nearly 250 dives in my local waters since I got certified last year and am only going on my first tropical holiday next week. I could have done a tropical trip last year with the drysuit money and done 15-20 dives in nice warm water but I am REALLY glad I went with my drysuit as I could not have done anywhere close to the amount of local dives I have done in a wetsuit.

I vote for vacation. Dry suit will always be there. Vacation time with friend, family and significant other is priceless.

Back
Top Bottom