Cozumel to Holbox (whale sharks) in a day--report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayjoans

Contributor
Reaction score
Today my wife and I swam with the whale sharks just off Holbox. We left Cozumel this morning about 8:30am and were back in our condo at El Cantil by 4pm. FABULOUS day.

This is how we did it:
Whale Shark Tour

Great flight in a Cessna 206 direct from CZM to the 3600' dirt strip on Holbox. About a 30 minute flight, no higher than 3500' altitude. Great views of the channel, Playa, jungles and the Gulf. For a private pilot like myself, what a kick it was to fly in the single engine panga of the skies. The young pilot even let me take the stick for a bit, and just like the diving in Cozumel it was so smooth and comfortable it was almost boring. The 206 seats 6, so with the pilot and tour leader there is room for 4.

We were joined by another very nice couple from Ohio and our tour leader Chantal. Doing the math, we were IN the boat on the Holbox dock in the same time it would taken us to get off the ferry in Playa if we had even attempted to do this tour by land. My understanding is that even after arriving in Playa there is a 3+ hour van ride to Holbox, EACH WAY. Doing this tour in a day is nearly impossible, or at the very least miserable.

As for cost, the tour was only $24 more per person to fly than to do it by land. This does not include the $30 airport tax per person, but even at $54 more you save something like 7 hours of travel time.....usually not the first choice of how I want to spend my vacation, especially in August on the Yucatan. The views and experience of the plane ride is worth the extra $54 in my book. Not having to leave your Cozumel lodging and stay in Holbox overnight would also cost more than $54, so all the way around this is (in my opinion) the ONLY way to swim with the sharks from Cozumel.

As far as the sharks go, it took us about an hour and forty minutes to find the sharks and get in with them. My wife and I first jumped in and looked down and only saw the bottom of the ocean......but then the bottom moved. GEEZ, the bottom IS the shark :shocked2: Like diving with a spotted school bus! It was tough to get used to the snorkel after diving for a few days, so the first experience had a bit of coughing and hacking included. We all had 3 or 4 turns to get in with the big beasts and swim with them as they dove and surfaced. Easily they came within 5 or 6 feet of the surface, it was tempting to grab their dorsal fin and go all "Sea World" on them. (no touching). Of the 2 sharks we swam with, the second larger one had a tail that was taller than me, and I'm 6'5". It was really a good time. On the way back the captain busted out foil wrapped cheese/ham sandwiches, fruit and water/sodas. Another hour or so back to the dock, buy some t-shirts and onto the golf cart for the 3 block putt putt to the airport. 40 minutes later we're hailing a cab outside CZM.
:banana:

Here's a couple of hints if you're thinking of doing it:
Don't bring your wetsuit, you're in the water for about 5 minutes at a time, you won't get cold.
You must wear a life jacket, so you won't be diving down at all, they won't let you claim that your wetsuit is your buoyancy.
We brought our own masks, and wish we had brought our own fins. The fins this particular boat operator provided were a bit sketchy.
Cameras are actually a huge hassle, unless you find a shark that is virtually still. The ones we saw were moving pretty fast and it takes all you've got to keep up.
Bring cash for t-shirts, credit card machines were not available where we were.
Biodegradable sunblock.
No bugs on the water, in town or at the dock, but huge mosquitos at the airport.
Bring a camera for some great views from the airplane.

Thanks for this. Can you provide info of who all you booked this through, incl. air.

He provided a link :)

J. - Glad you had fun!!!!!!!

Jsut a note though - I've done the whaleshark excursion a dozen or so times with 4 different ops, and wetsuits were allowed in lieu of a life jacket with all of them. Which operator did you guys go out with once in Holbox?

Christi- I didn't even notice. It was written on the side of their boat but I didn't pay much attention. I bet if the other couple that brought their wetsuit pressed the issue they likely would have been allowed to, but after they heard we were only going to be in the water for minutes at a time they opted to not hassle with putting them on.

Here is the link again:
Whale Shark Tour
This tour company is one stop, you don't book everything separately.

Thanks for the report. The flying option makes a whaleshark tour feasible for us. It would be hard for us to give up 2 or 3 days of diving for 1 day of swimming with the whalesharks.

we felt exactly the same way Judy, we were caught in this conundrum that we were so close to a once in a lifetime opportunity yet unwilling to give up what we love to do so much day after day.

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to talk my wife into going to Coz in June next year instead of May, primarily so we can swim with the whale sharks.

holbox 2009.jpgPhoto (not mine) from aircraft at Isla Holbox this summer.

Last edited:
Very nice!! thankx for the report!!

He provided a link :)

J. - Glad you had fun!!!!!!!

Jsut a note though - I've done the whaleshark excursion a dozen or so times with 4 different ops, and wetsuits were allowed in lieu of a life jacket with all of them. Which operator did you guys go out with once in Holbox?

Hey Christi,
This is something that Peggy and I may be interested in doing on our non-dive day. What would you recommend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom