Hows this setup sound??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveshooter

Registered
Reaction score
After searching through threads, and reading up on stuff I have my equipment picked out. I have settled on a seaquest balance BC, a apeks 1x 50 primary and tx20 octo, and a suunoto viper console with compass. I had priced out this stuff online but I am waiting on a quote from my LDs that I think will be good. I am also getting 2 al 80s to go with my stuff..is 2 necessary?I went with the vyper over the cobra because I didnt like the air integration of the cobra...dont want everything to go down at once if there is a computer failure. I havent even finished my cert class yet but I plan on advancing in diving. Does this equipment look like it will be able to grow with me? BTW I will be diving in s. Florida, so warm waters, and plan on doing mostly reef and outside of wrecks.

That does sound like a pretty good setup. The only concern I would have is that I wouldn't go out and buy all your gear until you have had some time in the water to try it out, or at least to try a few different brands to see what is most comfortable for you.

It is almost better to rent gear for your first few dives so you can try out some of the gear you might like so you can get a feel for it, otherwise you are likely to go out and spend a lot of money based on what other people say, only to find out they really like it, but for you it may not be ideal.

There are no bonus points for rushing out to get gear before your first dive, but there are rooms and rooms of excess gear owned by scubadivers who have bought on impulse or because of a recommendation and not liked it after the purchase. I know the BC I have works okay, but if I had it to do over again I would not buy it and I would have tried a few first.

Hope that helps you out some as the more people who get in the water the more fun it is, welcome to the club.

P.S. When are you due to complete your cert?

Looks to me like you have made some good decisions on equipment. The Apeks is top notch, the computer is to match. As for the BC I have no experience with it.

As for using rental gear, most LDS don't use the top of the line equipment for rental purposes so you might not be able to test what you like. But from what you have purchased, you have done your home work and mad some great choices, you should be happy for some years to come and NOT have that closet of "Wish I'd bought this instead of" gear.

Plus you haven't had to spend money on rental equipment!

Now get out there and DIVE!

ID

All top notch gear. I started out in a Sea Quest Quickdraw BC and still use it for pool work. The Balance is very popular around here and was one of my considerations when I moved to a back inflate BC.

I agree with Don...most rental gear isn't top of the line stuff. Your choices should cover you well for many years through the changes you'll naturally go through.

I have tried out a few different bcs and regs during my pool sessions and also from a friend. All of the gear belongs to a college dive club and is therefore decent but not "high end". Our open water dives are supposed to be on the weekend of Dec. 1st and second. Hopefully the weather wont mess with us again.

Hi shooter! Welcome to the boards from Sunny Central Ohio! All of the gear you have picked out sounds top notch - I have the Apeks TX50/TX20 reg/octo set up as well as a SUUNTO Mosquito (I wanted a wrist mount non air integrated computer). I have no experience with that BC - but before purchasing I would suggest that you try out a backplate/harness/wing as opposed to a jacket style BC. I use a Dive Rite Transpac II with Rec wing - and am very happy with the comfort and versatility (as this will accomodate single and double tanks). Halcyon also makes some excellent BCs of this variety. Back inflation does take a little getting used to - but I think it's worth it for the freedom - and no 'squeeze'.

I would also suggest you get yourself a watch to dive with as a back-up to your computer - not necessarily a dive watch (as it seems many of those are very pricey). I use a Timex Iron Man HUMVEE addition watch - BIG buttons (so you can manipulate them while wearing gloves), water resistant to 200m, comes with a velcro strap - and I'm sure you could drop it off a building and not damage the thing. I found it for around $65 on-line. It has a stopwatch (which I always start as I begin my descent) and a timer - which is set for 3 minutes for a safety stop.

As far as having two tanks - it's a great idea! Now two tank dives in remote locals (lakes/quarries/beaches) don't need to be interrupted by an air fill - or prepared for in advance by renting another tank. Keep them filled and up to date on hydro's/visual inspections - and your good to go anytime your dive buddy gives you a call!

thanks guys. Those who arent aware the balance BC is a back inflation BC. The shop had a wings setup that I looked at but by the time I put all the pieces together my budget went down the drain(as it is Im gonna be eating Ramon noodles for weeks!) I do have a decent watch as a backup..a Citizen Titanium that I wear everyday :)

Sounds like you have caught the bug( a good bug though). The equipment sounds good but you may want to sit down at the LDS and see if anyone there can actually use all the functions the vyper comes with. It is a great computer if you like electronic gizmos but with all the bells and whistles you may miss your dive sitting on the boat trying to get all the features set. It is also the most conservative on the market which is neither good or bad. I personally think the oceanic line and uwatec computers from scubapro are much more user friendly, the oceanic the better if you liek bells and whistles but not a three day course in how to use them. Uwatec simple and straightforward but no bells and whistles.

Hey Shooter...
Sounds like you did some homework... all the gear you mention is nice and something I would recommend - except the BC - I have never seen it, less been diving with it...

If you are considering going semi technical in the future -I would agree with Martin that you shoudl consider a backplate - it may be a couple of $$$ more - but you will never need to upgrade it...
For reference - I suggest you consider how you would use a dive light - a canister is generally mounted on the hip on the belt - I have seen quite a few people attempt this with a bc that has no belt... as you can imagine - that becomes a point of frustration...

I dive the Dive Rite mentioned by someone else - but I'm switching to the back plate in the next month or so - had a chance to dive it and love it.

Good luck -
Big T

The gear sounds good to me. If it fits right and you are comfortable with it then it's right! As for the 2 tanks, if you can afford it it's nice. You can dive while the second tank is being filled or you can do two dives without having to trek to the shop for a fill. I dive some remote places where there are no dive shops and I usually bring 4 tanks with me. One trip I had to bring 12 tanks since the nearest shop was about 2 hours away.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom