Hows this setup sound??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diveshooter,

Im am in the same boat as you. Im not certified yet, but have the fever. I try hard to do my homework and study up on what the best equipment is that fits within my budget. I have gone to scubadiving.com and read up on Rodales equipment evaluations on just about every piece of equipment needed for beginners like ourselves. It sounds like your budget is a bit better than mine :) What can I say...Im trying to buy my first house and getting into scuba at the same time. Probably a poor combination financially speaking. I am trying to get tested and tried mid priced equipment, so the Apex regs are a bit pricy for me. I agree with Iguana Don in that so long as you do your homework and get good quality, tried and tested equipment, it is hard to go too wrong. I know the rental equipment out there is below the standard I want to purchase, so its a waste of time to tell myself that Im going to "try out different stuff". My LDS is great, but I doubt they will let me try out all thier good stuff at will. I dont want cheap low end stuff, but cant afford the really high stuff, so Im trying to stay in the middle. Thus far it seems like Im going with Mares almost exclusively. Here is my line up so far.

Fins - Mares Avanti Quattro
Boots - Deep See Deckmasters
Regulator - Mares MR12 Epos
Wetsuit - Mares Direct Heat 3mm Shorty
Mask - U.S. Divers (old mask Ive had for years)
Snorkel - OceanMaster Drysnorkel Flex
Knife - OceanMaster Titanium
Light - UK SL6

I havent yet decided for sure on the rest of this stuff, but Im leaning heavily on them.

Octo - Mares MR12 Axis
Buoyancy Comp. - Mares Vector 1000
Mask - Mares Opera
Guage - Mares Mission 2D

When its all said and done, this whole lineup will set me back around $1500 or so... I think its a pretty good middle of the road equipment setup for a beginner.

It sounds as if the new students are doing their homework. Regs are an excellent choice. You are almost certain to be pleased with your selection. I would recommend trying a couple of BC's first.
I use the Balance for pool sessions. It's the only thing I dive in aside from a backplate.
Two tanks are mandatory if you are in South Florida. Almost all the charter boats run 2 tank trips.

Take only pictures, leave only bubbles.

DiveSherpa,

Yes, Ive done my homework. Especially on the regs. Im still green as a grasshopper (do they swim?), Rodales really helped me a lot.. I trust thier judgement. As a beginner, I was wavering between the MR12 Axis and the MR12 Epos..Thier lab testing showed that the Epos was only slightly better than the Axis in its testing standards. Of course I questioned why? Found out that aside from the obvious Epos advantages, the metal inserts on the Epos helped to provide moisture .

Hello,

Yes I would go with 2 tanks. Reason is when you get on a boat they typicaly, least in this area, do a 2 tank 4 hour trip.

The good thing about the mr-12 is it can take some abuse and still perform well under stress. You can take a monkey and teach it in 30 mins how to repair that unit. It's realy that simple. The parts are very easy to find as several other companies use the exact same service kits.

Ed

Good stuff, diveshooter. I use a Balance myself and find it very simple, uncluttered, and extremely comfortable. Only drawback is that it lacks pockets, but I don't really need pockets, and I attached additional D-rings to mine, to attach additional gear such as reels and lights as needed.

My Balance is a 1st-generation model, though; the newer ones ar nice, too, but I find they feel rather heavy, might have something to do with the material used the second time around. I'd suggest you test the BC though, because while I absolutely love mine, different things work for different people.

As for advancing in diving, if you're considering going tec eventually, you might want to look at wings and BP instead, as suggested. Otherwise, the Balance is perfect for all forms of rec diving. Or you might want to have a "standard" BC AND a BP/Wing combination, which is what I did.

Apeks... can't say I've tried the regs, but hear nothing but good things about them. And since you're not going air-integrated on the Vyper, why not wrist-mount it? I use a Vyper, too -- excellent computer. Lots of features, all very easy to use.

Welcome to the underwater world! :)

How does the Seaquest Balance compare to say the Seaquest
PRO QD or the Seaquest Pro Unlimited? These only look to hold (1) tank though.

I also am new to diving and am looking at the Oceanic Probe BC as well. Looks to hold (2) tanks.

Thanks for the pointers guys :)

By the way.... my LDS is trying to pursuade me into buying ALL of my equipment PRIOR to completion of my open water cert. Naturally he wants me to buy all my gear from him as well. At very inflated prices to boot. A tad greedy? Considering most veteran divers recommend diving for awhile prior to making purchases.

It makes me uncomfortable. Being reminded that they are not making any money on my training... and rely on me to make my equipment purchases all from them. Have to use the ol.... OH LOOK my family members jusst bought all this great gear for me for my birthday... sorry. :(

I prefer the Balance myself, because it's got a cleaner front -- it's a backfloat BC, with a really excellent load distribution system thanks to the swivel shoulder releases and tri-point attachment of the straps to the BC body.

The Pro QD/Unlimited is good, too, but different from the Balance in that it's a jacket type. I'm partial to backfloats.

If you're looking at a SeaQuest BC that will hold doubles, try the Black Diamond or the Raider. Haven't tried either, but SQ makes excellent BCs. But then again, if you're looking to go doubles eventually, backplates can't be beat for stability with doubles. And with a harness, the D-rings can be adjusted to exactly where you need them, if you'll go into using stage/deco bottles.

Haven't tried the Oceanic Probe yet, but a friend of mine uses it and he has no complaints.

Hello,

that's like buying a car before you can drive. I would recomend you 'shop around' to see what style's you like/want/need.

Now if car dealers trained people to drive.

Ed

Hey Dolphin,

Welcome to the list first of all...
If you don't trust the intentions of your LDS 100% this is a good place to get a clue...

I noticed that you have already done some reading up on Backplates... If you have ANY consideration towards diving doubles sometime - I strongly suggest that you pursue that direction, you can dive it with singles as well as doubles and it is way cleaner and stream lined than any of the clunky comfort jokes out there...

That's my opinion - many will disagree with me - but deep down - they know they are wrong!

Have a great day,
Big T

Back
Top Bottom