Ranger LTD v. Brigade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was convinced to get the Brigade, in large part because of price. But, ScubaToys has the LTD on sale for $445 (just $46 more than the Brigade). Interested in what you think about the relative merits of these BCDs at these prices. Thanks.

For that price, I'd buy the LTD. The Brigade and Ranger use the same harness, the difference is the bladder.

Add up the stuff you might add to the Brigade that the LTD already has - $30 Lumbar Pad, $40 rear weight pockets, extra d-rings and you're well over the $45 difference.

You also can't get the zipper attachment option with the Brigade since it's a different wing which doesn't have the flaps where they're sewn on.

Another thing you can't buy unless you change the wing is that the Ranger/LTD has an extra bottom pull dump.

I'm also pretty certain you can't use doubles with the Brigade, due to the 35# lift. With my LTD all I would need to add is the Zeagle mounting kit.

I have the 65lb. bladder so mine doesn't pack except in checked luggage but my buddy has a 44' bladder on his Ranger and he can't carry it on either. So I don't see a huge advantage in the 35lb. bladder personally. If you're looking for something to travel with, I have stuffed a Stiletto into an airline approved roller bag. With room left over for regs and a few clothes.

I was convinced to get the Brigade, in large part because of price. But, ScubaToys has the LTD on sale for $445 (just $46 more than the Brigade). Interested in what you think about the relative merits of these BCDs at these prices. Thanks.

the difference between the two is really the bladder and the extras. The brigade is really just the ranger (not LTD) with a smaller wing. The LTD has some extra attachements on it. So depending on what you want to eventually get into that would be the deciding factor. the LTD has the side zippers for attachements like a spare air and SMB. also it has a few more D rings for hanging stuff off of and the installed lumbar pad which i find really nice. I personally went for the LTD just due to the "growablity" of the BC in that it will grow with me as i progress further and get more stuff and i won't have to upgrade my bc till i go to a BP/W eventually.

I own both the Brigade and a Ranger.

I purchased the Brigade first and found that when I was diving at home in cold water the lift of the Brigade, 35 lbs, was too little.

I need 28 lbs of lead in the pockets with my 7mm suit and a core warmer. Add 4 lbs more for a full AL80. The BCD was way too close to neutral, by itself, in the water. I used it for a year at home by wearing 1/2 my weight on a belt.

I bought the Ranger and use it at home and travel with the Brigade!

Both are great BCDs, but I'd get the Ranger.

EXCELLENT points all. Thanks!

Go with the LTD. I got one and I really like it. It's got plenty of lift and is robust enough for the local diving I do.

I love my Zeagle Ranger, I wouldn't trade it for any other BCD out there.

Good to hear the Ranger LTD works well for everyone, it's a really great price for a high end BCD. I'm ordering it right now (I wanted to wait another month, but these are going to sell out soon).

Back
Top Bottom