Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read much of the philosophers you mention but are their ethics much different than those in the Bible?

Some yes, some no, but the distinction is that they clearly discuss how they came to these conclusions and the answer is never "because I read it in a book once that some unseen being told some dude who told some people who then wrote it down 100 years later."

As far as classes on logic, logical reasoning is really more an indication of a level of intelligence isn't it?

Like anything, it's a combination. Some people are good at physics or playing a musical instrument, but they aren't going to just figure it all out on their own. Logic is the same way.

Some have more inborn deductive reasoning capability. It's not something that can really be taught, other than historical instances.

Yes, it can be. Some will get it and others won't, but the techniques involved in logical deduction most certainly can be taught.

When faced with a new problem, you can solve it or you can't based on your ability to observe and successfully deduct logically. (although many times to obvious logical answer is incorrect)

Of course. But learning *how* to deduct logically is the important part. Most people I see don't actually use logic to come to conclusions. They often think they are, but in fact are making logical errors left and right.

I would like to express a big thank you to Warthaug, Saspotato, Kim and Soggy (I may forget some) for their brilliant participation and their patience.
Keep up the good job!

Last edited:
There is a very clear distinction between murder and killing. One is clearly morally objectionable (murder), one is not necessarily (killing).

Take a key word (kill) from what I said and go off on an explanation of the difference in what killing is. Thanks, I never knew this. :shakehead:

Well, there have been people writing about ethics for centuries. Perhaps I should introduce you to Socrates, Plato, Kant, Hume, Locke, Descartes, and the multitude of other philosophers that not only discuss ethics in depth, but explain the rationale behind the conclusions they came to.

Some links I found interesting:
Truth, Ethics, and Duality: Theosophical Topics in Depth
What is Ethics?

Clearly you have never taken a class on or studied the subject, as you are just flat out incorrect about this assumption.
You are correct. I have never studied logic at any level in school. But I guess my words were unclear. Logic can be taught, it may just be harder to learn. I will try harder.

The "What is Ethics" write up is pretty decent. It leaves out the "how" part of determining what is right and what is wrong, but it does a decent job of covering why religion isn't necessary for making ethical decisions.

As for your comment on my comment about killing...I don't understand what you're trying to say. Please use complete sentences. :) From the :shakehead:, I can only assume that you disagreed with what I had to say.

Take a key word (kill) from what I said and go off on an explanation of the difference in what killing is. Thanks, I never knew this. :shakehead:

Some links I found interesting:
Truth, Ethics, and Duality: Theosophical Topics in Depth
What is Ethics?

You are correct. I have never studied logic at any level in school. But I guess my words were unclear. Logic can be taught, it may just be harder to learn. I will try harder.

I think that's a commendable message, David.

BTW, how was the Catalina dive show?

As for your comment on my comment about killing...I don't understand what you're trying to say. Please use complete sentences. :) From the :shakehead:, I can only assume that you disagreed with what I had to say.
I mentioned killing, and you explained the very obvious that there is a difference to murder and killing as if I didn't know the difference. So I used the "shakehead" smiley to project my thoughts.

I think that's a commendable message, David.

BTW, how was the Catalina dive show?
The Catalina dive show was good. When I can't get in enough diving (which seems to be all the time), watching it on TV let's me relive some dives better. Makes me want to get back to Catalina soon and dive the "Kelp Forests" again.

I mentioned killing, and you explained the very obvious that there is a difference to murder and killing as if I didn't know the difference. So I used the "shakehead" smiley to project my thoughts.

Your usage indicated that you did not know the difference. Many people don't. Many people see "killing" and "murder" as synonyms, when they aren't.

The "What is Ethics" write up is pretty decent. It leaves out the "how" part of determining what is right and what is wrong, but it does a decent job of covering why religion isn't necessary for making ethical decisions.

What is right and wrong (ethical) is still an individual's conception. Based on beliefs at any given time. Over time these beliefs can change, therefore changing what one believes is ethical. And yes, with or without religion one can decide upon their own ethical beliefs.

your quote:
I think that some basic social behaviors are innate as a result of evolution (avoid killing members of your own species, for example), but many are learned behaviors.
It seems your use of the word killing was ambiguous too, but I didn’t take it as you didn’t know the difference between killing and murdering.

my quote:
Killing is a little more than a basic social behavior, but it still may be an innate characteristic of human behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom