Seattle or Oregon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drvngcrzy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to spend about a week in the Northwest and wanted to try to fit in a dive or two. I am flying into Seattle and then making my way to Crater Lake, Oregon.

Any suggestions for a location and/or a dive shop/operator to go with would be great. A shop where I can rent all the gear is a must. Lake, ocean, or whatever, the location doesnt matter.

I will be there in August, probably 8-14 or so.

I can't speak for Oregon that much but it's my understanding that ocean diving there is limited. In Seattle, we have Puget Sound which is a cold water diving jewel. My suggestion is you find time to jump on one of our charters. Depending on your skill level each one can provide you a great place to begin. In no particular order: Bandito, Teal Water, Aluminator Water Taxi and Porthole. I'm sure I'm forgetting others but these are the ones that come to mind.

I've been to almost every dive shop and all would be happy to give you direction, including current conditions and favorite spots. We have many, depending on where in the area you will be staying, I'd Google Seattle diving and see what you get. Again, we all have out "shops" and are fiercely loyal too them, but in all truth they all have advantages and few disadvantages. Hope this helps.

My suggestion is to post closer to the time you're coming, and hook up with a local diver. If the info in your profile is correct, you're a fairly new diver ... and current can be a consideration here. You'll want sites that are appropriate to your skill level, and a local diver can be a tremendous assistance not only in choosing the right site, but in showing you what there is to see.

There are many dive shops here ... most can serve your needs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm with Bob. Post closer to the time of your trip, and you're almost certain to find someone who's willing to play tour guide to some good local diving. We have some nice sites to dive from shore, which is certainly much less expensive than charter boats, but some of the best sites are boat only, and you can spend a fantastic day of diving off one of the Bandito or other boats.

Let's get closer to August, and we can talk details.

I can't speak for Oregon that much but it's my understanding that ocean diving there is limited.
Your assessment is quite accurate. There are a few inland dive sites, but for the most part the diving in the Puget Sound is superior.

My suggestion is to post closer to the time you're coming, and hook up with a local diver. ......

There are many dive shops here ... most can serve your needs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob's advice is spot on correct.

Go north, nothing in Portland area.

Back
Top Bottom