Seattle or Oregon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to spend about a week in the Northwest and wanted to try to fit in a dive or two. I am flying into Seattle and then making my way to Crater Lake, Oregon.

Any suggestions for a location and/or a dive shop/operator to go with would be great. A shop where I can rent all the gear is a must. Lake, ocean, or whatever, the location doesnt matter.

I will be there in August, probably 8-14 or so.

Send me a PM as your itinerary firms up. I live a few miles from where you would break East from I-5 for Crater Lake and could take you on a couple good dives.

i've been wanting to dive crater lake... are you still planning to go there?
--c

I did Crater Lake in the early 80's. It was a park sponsored dive, so they schlepped the gear for us. As I recall, the path to the water is quite steep and about one mile in length. That's a long ass haul, especially at altitude. There are sites with much better access and just as little to see. Can't beat the vis, but it's pretty boring.

The park will not help you with your gear, you have to carry it down and then back up. Nothing with wheels on it is allowed on the trail, so it is on your back. Besides the considerations for altitude adjustments and penalties if not acclimated for the necessary time, the extreme hike with that kind of weight in the middle of summer, just after a dive violates everything ever learned about safe diving.

I have done it, but once was enough for me to learn my lesson. Never again.

Waldo is a much better dive with great access.

Later, Hawk.

Never thought I'd be diving this lake again, but the NPS has just contracted us to do some maintenance. I'll be diving the Crater some time later this month. Water temp will still be in the upper 30's.

Temps at the coast are mid 50's, fresh water will vary from site to site. Smith and Illinois rivers will be in the low 70's, with vis 20-30', but the algae blooms will change that soon. Lakes will be anywhere from high 40's to upper 70's, with vis in the 8' to 15' range, unless you are looking at high mountain lakes.

If you are referring specifically to Crater Lake, Pine pollen is like oatmeal around the shores, but vis is still great. It should be gone by August and temps should be in the high 40's at depth.

I've made four dives there since June 27. Here's a few pics and video clips:

080626_Crater_Lake028-1.jpg

080626_Crater_Lake005.jpg

080626_Crater_Lake017.jpg

080626_Crater_Lake019.jpg

080626_Crater_Lake033.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom