Planning for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings. I am planning a trip to cozumel for august 1 (give or take 1 day) for 8 days. I've never dive travelled before so I don't know what to expect.

First, I want pictures to remember this by. What would be a good camera? I was thinking of the Sea & Sea DX-860 and its sports package that has strobes & lenses.

Second, while this will be arranged mostly as a dive package, it seems I'll have ample times in the afternoons and night to make my own dive plans outside the package. What would be some good things to do (especially night diving)?

Third, is it better to purchase a packaged deal or arrange it yourself? It seems that all the resort packages have their own dive boats but so many people prefer other dive operations. I'm assuming I'll just have to pay more. Does it matter? New to this, I don't know what to expect or the best way to go about this.

I'm thinking of statying either at Scuba Club or Iberostar.

Thanks,
Shawn

Third, is it better to purchase a packaged deal or arrange it yourself? It seems that all the resort packages have their own dive boats but so many people prefer other dive operations. I'm assuming I'll just have to pay more. Does it matter? New to this, I don't know what to expect or the best way to go about this.

A package deal might be the best way for a first-timer, although I'd make sure I had ample free time there to explore and see what the island has to offer outside the provisions of the package. On your next trip (and no one I know goes to Cozumel only once!) you might want to custom fit your trip to your own preferences.

Hotel/dive package deals are a good way to go, not just to save money but also for convenience. Although almost all the dive ops on the island will pick you up at the hotel pier for your dives, many of the hotels that offer dive packages also have the dive op right on the property.

Can't give a review on the S&S 860, I have the S&S dx5000g and love it. I've been very happy with the results. Make a post on the underwater photography forum ScubaBoard - Underwater Photography I'm sure there are folks out there using it.

Things to do other than diving:

1.) rent a car/jeep/trekker and drive around the island, stop at some of the beach bar/restaruants along the way, they are a nice way to spend a lazy afternoon. Rastas, Bob Marley's, Chien Rio, Coconuts (our favorite), Mescellito's, all will be happy to see you. spend time on the beaches on the "wild side" just don't venture out too far into the water, there is a VERY strong rip tide over ther because of the constant Caribbean breeze kicking up wave action on the beach.

2.) visit the Mayan archeological site, San Gervesio. Nice late period site, no big temples, but a good place to get a feel for the Mayan civilization.

3.) the museum is over looked my many I think, it's full of Mexican art and a great history of the island. It also has a n open air restaurant on the second level, open for breakfast and lunch. One of our "must do's"

4.) take a day and take the ferry to Playa del Carmen hang out there and shop or from there you can rent a vehicle and go to Tulum or Coba. Chichen Itza (if you want to make the drive, 3-3 1/2 hrs.), or just explore up and down the Mayan Riviera coast.

5.) Go to El Cedral, the orignal town of Cozumel located about 1/2-2/3 way south of town to Punta Sur (south point). Not a whole lot to see there, some minor ruins and cute haciendas, but it's worth the visit. Hey, visit Punta Sur Park if it's open, (they seem to have funny hours), and climb the lighthouse.

6.) eat at some of Cozumel's restaurants. something that a lot of first timers miss out on. they will either do All-inclusive and just stay in the comfort zone of the hotel or only visit the "tourist" restaruants. Cozumel has a lot of very good restaurants, from the very cheap, to a more "fine" dining experience. Please take advantage of them.

7.) there also guided tours by bus that leave out of Playa del Carmen, that visit many of the archeological sites on the Yucatan peninsula also. You can set these up with the activites people at the hotel. They also have a tour to Chichen Itza that will fly you to CI from Cozumel.

One thing about the archeological sites, most of them are surrounded by jungle and in early August they will be VERY oppressive!!! Tulum will be the coolest because it sits on the coast and is cooled by the ocean breeze.

Don't try to squeeze too much in on the first trip, you'll be back. Enjoy the diving and take the rest in to make plans for the next time around.

If you can, get to the ocean side of the island (all the diving and resorts are on the mainland side). My fiance' and I always rent a little motorscooter and head over there one day. If you follow the main road south you'll end up at the Rasta bar, sitting there watching the waves crash is very cool. Drive up north along the beaches to a place called Coconuts, it is our favorite place on the island. Although he was gone this past trip (just got back), they usually have a large iguana on the bar. They had a cockatiel in a cage with warning signs that he will bite hard, they used to have another red bird (no idea what type) that used to go from table to table begging for food. He would squawk his head off until you gave him something, it was hilarious.
I've done both planning my own and doing a group thing with a shop. I have had good luck with both, and consequently, have complaints about both too. For the most part, if you do your homework, your trips that are planned by yourself can be very good. You are going to a remote location and things change, if you have emails from people working locally about your expectations, you should be fine. A trip that is planned out for you means you shouldn't have to worry too much about it. For your first trip I would almost recommend this, you'll have lots to worry about getting all your equipment there and having fun diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom