OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve:
lol

yeah, like that's going to work in the three-four seconds you're going to have in an actual ooa/panicked buddy.....lol.

How about 2 seconds, practice it all the time. You should try it before you scoff.

NWGratefulDiver:
Yeah, but hose routing might be problematic ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Already thought about that Bob...:D

143309.jpg

Diver Dennis:
Already thought about that Bob...:D

143309.jpg
Brilliant! Does it come with a pony bracket?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ice9:
See thats what scares me about insta-buddies. You never know how they will react and I bet it wouldn't be easy to seperated from one if they were to endanger your life after grabbing your octo.

I really don't want to follow a neoprene panic-rocket to the top...

*shudders at the thought*

When I read the above statement, I'm a bit confused by it. I think we would all agree that there are varying degrees of risk associated with an un-controlled ascent to the surface. A CESA, although an acceptable course of action when the alternative is drowning, is not the preferred method to solving problems, and the risks associated with a CESA increase with time at depth.

So, regardless of the buddy, why would you do a dive where you would not accompany your buddy on a CESA? And if the answer is that you would accompany your buddy during a CESA, why would that change if the OOA was resolved, but the buddy still headed toward the surface?

~ Jason

wedivebc:
How about 2 seconds, practice it all the time. You should try it before you scoff.

You are telling us that you can have, in 2 seconds, a regulator deployed, gas turned on, with the bottle unclipped and handed to them? All in two seconds? Good onya!

Soggy:
You are telling us that you can have, in 2 seconds, a regulator deployed, gas turned on, with the bottle unclipped and handed to them? All in two seconds? Good onya!

:D

Some things are just to dumb on the face of it to even bother attempting it in real life cause ya know when the crap hits the fan and the guy actually is spooked it ain't gonna work.

This is one of those things. lol :)

regards

I generally dive a little overweighted. I do this because I've had just enough students try to bolt to the surface while forgetting how to clear a mask. When they take off, I lock up on them, dump air and create drag on their ascent. This slows things down to a more manageable ascent rate.

Gee, you could always pop in the backup (bunged around the neck) close the isolator, close that tank valve, pull the knife and cut him loose...better than an uncontrolled ride to the surface. Just kidding of course. Do you think the expansion rate would exceed the capacity of the top and bottom dump valves on most BCs?

This actually happened to a friend of mine from 90 feet. He got paired up with a resort diver on a boat, the buddy freaked out at 90 feet, took the reg from my friends mouth, inflated his bc and kicked to the surface. By the time my friend got things sorted out they were like a rocket to the surface and could hardly be slowed down. My friend got a trip to the chamber out of it and the buddy seemed to be fine. I was told that it happens so fast that you have nearly no time to react and get it under control. Air expands rapidly when kicking up from that depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom