Missile Silo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K:
Yes, the Army has *cough* very good procedures to keep stuff from leaking out. Check the ground in an armor battalion's motor pool sometime -- drip pans or no drip pans.

(That's not a slam... the Army really does try to prevent pollution, believe it or not... it's just that it's not an easy job by any means...)

However, ICBMs and their silos were/are run by the Air Force...
04.gif

--Marek

How true you are!! I worked on an Army base several years ago and we had a Lull ( big fork truck on monster tires) that we used. One day we refueled it and found out that it had a small leak in the neck. A small puddle (about the size of a bread plate) formed on the ground. We had to get a catch can for it till the drip stopped and then dig up the soil were the fuel had leaked.

I would feel pretty safe diving the silo. It wouldn't surprise me that the USAF didn't check the water and air ever few month even though they no longer own it.

crpntr133:
...It wouldn't surprise me that the USAF didn't check the water and air ever few month even though they no longer own it.
So that's what they're doing there in the middle of the night :11:

I don't know, it would be cool if all of the hallways and everything were underwater, but if it's just a hole in the ground, I don't see how it's different than, say, a dirty pool or a clean pond.

cmalinowski:
I don't see how it's different than, say, a dirty pool or a clean pond.

A dirty pool, and pond aren't 127 feet deep, and never housed a Intercontinental Ballistic Missile :D

I think its because it was "off limits" and you could have been shot for trying to get into one before, now you can go roam around freely inside, and scuba. To me that's pretty groovy.

Lil' Irish Temper:
A dirty pool, and pond aren't 127 feet deep, and never housed a Intercontinental Ballistic Missile :D

I think its because it was "off limits" and you could have been shot for trying to get into one before, now you can go roam around freely inside, and scuba. To me that's pretty groovy.

Groovy eh? I have never done a dive like this, but I was in a decommissioned nuclear missile silo north of Ft Collins CO, in the middle of nowhere. It was pretty cool and they did have tunnels going around to different rooms. The site was being used as a remote, valve flow testing station.

The fuel for those missiles is nasty stuff, extremely toxic and corrosive. However the missiles themselves were kept DEfueled for a vast majority of thier service life. The fuel was stored seperatly from the missile and the missile was fueled if it was about to be launched.

So if you want to dive in an old decommissioned silo, you have nothing to fear as the fuel was removed when the missiles were removed.

EDIT: I found out what some of the fuels were comprised of. Nitrogen tetroxide/monomethyl hydrazine, red fuming nitric acid. Some nasty stuff there.

Back
Top Bottom