Missile Silo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving a missile silo is a trip!!!! I have dove the one in Abilene owned by Family Scuba Center. I am organizing another trip this year in November. We had about 14 people and it was a great day. You change in the old engineer room. Here is a link to a trip report I did from a day we organized a few years ago. Complete with pictures!

http://www.siscuba.com/Valhalla.html

mongoose:
Y'know... I have always been a little leery of that dive. Not anything specific that I can point to, but those missles were loaded with plutonium, and as I understand it, had some pretty toxic fuel either loaded in them or right next to them. I know they were shielded, and I know that the Army has very precise and specific procedures to keep stuff from leaking out... but...

You're right to be leary.. I've heard that the US military is the worlds biggest single polluter..

Lil' Irish Temper:
Our government wouldn't lie about something like that, would they? :11:

Of course not! :wink:

Actually, he had it privately tested. I don't think he had much trust in the government at that time either. That's why he had it tested. I'm pretty sure it's completely safe. And that growth on my back finally stopped getting bigger. :D

Few things…

I am Air Force and we get in trouble for having metal filters mixed in with plastic filters, having card board in the garbage instead of the proper recycle container, not having proper labels on our standard power outlets, not putting AAA batteries in contamination containers, and not having warning labels on hand soap. I’m not saying “people” don’t make mistakes, but I have to wear protective goggles to fix a paper jam in a printer. The Air Force, at least today, is overboard with safety measures and precautions.

If I had a one of these I’d turn it into a huge aquarium. There is probably some sort of government grant you could get to do something like that.

Back
Top Bottom