Zip Seals: When to remove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BPDiver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a CLX450 that I just bought in April 2009. So far I love it.
I have 2 questions about zip seals.
Question 1: I've seen an earlier response from Jessica about storing the suit in the bag versus hanging. The owner's manual defines storage as 2 or more months. I have switched to my wet suit for the hot, humid days and warmer water temps along the Carolina coast and will switch back to my dry suit probably late Oct / early Nov. Should the zip seals be left on the suit during the summer storage period?

Question 2: my dive buddy has been diving a CF200 for about 6 years. He contends that the zip seals should be removed between dive trips because grit, etc. can contribute to leaks. Granted, I'm new to dry suit diving, but I disagree with him. I think leaving the seals on the suit, properly rinsing the suit after dives, and checking the seals before each dive is a better option.

Opinions and comments welcome.
Thanks.

When I was shopping the LDS did make it a point to mention that zip seals want to be removed "periodically" so they don't take root.

I own the DUI CLX450 with zip seals and do not remove them. My experience has been that if you continue to pull them apart after each dive when storing you are going to damage the seal.

I say this with experience, because as I started removing them in the beginning, I noticed that the edges of the zeals on the gloves became fragile, I quickly stopped and have since left the gloves intact.

The suit has about 40 dives and has never leaked or even given me a hint at moisture. My advice is to leave them on the suit unless going to storage for a very long time.

Pulling off/on can damage just about anything...

MG

Hi,

This is Kathy at DUI.

Here is the deal on ZipSeals. You can remove them as often as you want. There is no such thing as "taking root". They can stay in forever. Or you can remove them after each dive. We remove and replace ZipSeals in our DOG Rally inventory constantly with no issues.

Sun and ozone create a great deal of wear on the seals, it is suggested to extend the life of the seals (if your suit or seals are not going to be used for a while), remove them, put them into an airtight container (like a Ziplock bag) and remove as much air as you can. Then when you open the bag, they will be in the same condition as when you put them in. Make sure that it is completely dry before storing.

As for what is "a while", that is really determined by the you, the user. For some, a while can be three months. For some who dive a lot, a while can be two weeks. It's up to you.

If you have any concerns with your DUI equipment please give us a call. We want to hear from you. Our Customer Service Department can be reach by phone toll-free in North America at 800-345-8439, or 619-236-1203 and our email is CustomerService@DUI-Online.com

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom