Zero to hero Divemaster program in 30 days - thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A thread in the Marketplace
Zero to hero Divemaster program in 30 days
has stirred some intersting comments not appropriate for the Marketplace so I'd like to discuss the idea here.

Is this sort of fast tracking safe? Unsafe? Thoughts?

Actually, it's even worse. The original post if I understand it correctly is advertising for 12 days of instruction (3 long days a week for a month).

There is a lot to be said for work-shop type courses that cause people to focus all of their energy on one thing for a short time. These can be interesting, rewarding experiences and you can learn a lot more in a short time than you think if you're focused.

That said, I would have several reservations:

- the instructor giving the course would have to be highly talented for this to have any chance of creating divers and not certified train wrecks.

- the student would have to have a natural aptitude for diving. Anyone who trains divers knows that natural talent varies a LOT. If you started out with divers who were highly talented to start with then you would have a chance.

- the student would have to have learned leadership ability going in. Taking a nervous timid introverted student into a course like this will obviously lead to a much different result than taking someone in with high self-esteem, excellent communicative ability and years of experience as a high-school teacher.... to pick a random example.

- the course would give the student the knowledge but not the experience. In my opinion you need both if you are going to train or be responsible for new divers. I don't see how this course will overcome that problem. I don't think a "graduate" from a programme like this would be employable. He/she may, however, given the right conditions and the right mix of personalities between instructor and student, be ready to enter an internship.

- obviously, the failure rate in a course like this, if the instructor has any ethical bones in his body, would have to be astronomical. In my experience I would say 1 student in 500 could enter a course like this and finish it without being a danger to him/her-self and the divers under his/her care. And *that* is assuming both the instructor and the student had the talent for it.

R..

Last edited:
I saw an aspiring DMT do something very naive and almost die durring the 30 day hero dash.

IMHO--nothing, absolutely nothing replaces depth of experience!!

I was thinking about how long it would take to train a high aptitude student, from scratch, up through DM. I'd estimate that's about 120 hours. A schedule of four hours a day, every day for a month with the rest of the day free for extra dives and experience might work ... assuming excellent incoming water skills, a very high level of commitment and an iron constitution.

I was thinking about how long it would take to train a high aptitude student, from scratch, up through DM. I'd estimate that's about 120 hours. A schedule of four hours a day, every day for a month with the rest of the day free for extra dives and experience might work ... assuming excellent incoming water skills, a very high level of commitment and an iron constitution.

That says more about the minimal DM requirements than anything else.

It's entirely possible (in fact, likely) that the "Instant DM" would be the least experienced diver on the boat.

Terry

That says more about the minimal DM requirements than anything else.

It's entirely possible (in fact, likely) that the "Instant DM" would be the least experienced diver on the boat.

Terry
Not really, I think that under the circumstances outlined I could train a competent DM, who could do the job as well, or better, than most who are starting out today.

Not really, I think that under the circumstances outlined I could train a competent DM, who could do the job as well, or better, than most who are starting out today.

I don't see how even one individual (or institution unless its very large) can train a competent DM/AI (depending on their hat de jour). Unless you are just training up mini me's. The whole point of the leadership curriculum is to lead and be a role model. And absent any outside experiences, a 60 dive, one shop, never travelled DM just can't do that. When their vacation diver clients have been 10x more places and more (dive)life experience to boot, that's a red flag.

I don't see how even one individual (or institution unless its very large) can train a competent DM/AI (depending on their hat de jour). Unless you are just training up mini me's. The whole point of the leadership curriculum is to lead and be a role model. And absent any outside experiences, a 60 dive, one shop, never travelled DM just can't do that. When their vacation diver clients have been 10x more places and more (dive)life experience to boot, that's a red flag.
On the whole I'd agree with you; I rather doubt that a shop (or shop based instructor) could do this. I think I could, and a know perhaps a half dozen other instructors whom I think could (I'm sure there are more whom I do not know), but what they all have in common is the kind of broad diving and teaching experience usually gained running a diving program at a very large institution with world wide operations, not a local LDS or resort.

Remember, candidate background, skill and other qualities would also be critical. Not for the average Instructor or student.

I see you point, really I do but I have to ask, is there no place in your paradigm for apprentices? I highly doubt any newly minted Instructor/Dive master leaves the course with 100% compentancy. Everyone gains experience and learns better on the job in real circumstances.

I (based on what I know of Thal) believe he could indeed train and graduate a competent Dive Master or Instructor in a short time. I also believe he would have no issue failing one mid-course should they not have the chops for the job.

this zero to hero scares me I became an instructor years ago right out of high school. Then taught for about 2 years. One of the reasons I stopped teaching is I did not like the way most dive agency's started dismissing basic needed skills like weight and BC removal etc. The other reason is I did not have the experience or knowledge to answer non-book questions from students. While I have much more experience now I have no desire to teach again. (unless it is to friends or family)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom