Zeagle Scout - enough lift?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 3mm is about 8 positive and no telling what your body is but I suspect it's closer the neutral than you think. It would be a good idea to drop by the pool or quarry and do a really good weight check. quote]

Neutral? I have a lot of , lets say, natural buoyancy, although my wife may argue that the density of the rocks in my head even that out.

I may take you up on the offer to try out your scout again, mainly for fitting purposes, although I should wait until we get closer to Bonaire time as I have lost 30 lbs in the past 3 months, and my goal is to drop 20 more by July.

I did a good weight check down in Florida this weekend, although with my steel tank and a hooded vest in addition to the 3mm, weight was spot on at 2.5 lbs with a near empty tank. Figure adding 6 lbs for an AL 80, 6 more for the salt water, drop two pounds for the hooded vest, that puts me at around 13. Although a pool check would eliminate some of those variables, and hopefully I have a little less bioprene in the future.

If you are doing 5 dives a day in Bonaire, do you not start to get a little cold with just the dive skin? or does that fleece give you more warmth than a traditional dive skin?

Hey Scotty. If you're looking at saving space and staying warm, have you looked at the 4th Element kit ? It's allegedly neutrally buoyant. I use one of their long sleeve tops in GC with a pair of swim shorts. It's supposed to be equivalent to a 3mm and packs folded with no damage just like, for example, a sweatshirt would. It's plenty warm, although I have an idea that it's quite pricey. Just an idea for you.

You said you were looking at the Scout for travel?
Do you take steel 120's with you when you travel?
Most dive operators I know of use AL 80's.

No I use stell 100 or 130's at home in North Carolina, I plan on Al80's in the fun and sun:cool2:

The Scout should be the perfect travel BC for you....

In my experience it would be a rare 3mm full suit that is +8 lbs. 3-5 lbs is a bit closer.

OTOH, a 3mm suit + an empty al 80 is about +8 lbs.

Always best to test your own suit and not rely on internet estimates.

Tobin

You maybe right, I was guessing based on test I did recently on a 1/4" shortie, which was 8 lbs actual measured in a pool and how tall Scotty is. Best thing we can do Scotty, is to do a weight check in the pool and go from there or later in the summer in the quarry. If your Brigade is too large now, it is a simple matter to replace the cumberbun with the next smaller size.

Best thing we can do Scotty, is to do a weight check in the pool and go from there or later in the summer in the quarry. If your Brigade is too large now, it is a simple matter to replace the cumberbun with the next smaller size.

you mean you do not want to hit the quarry in January with just a 3mm? It was a balmy 47 degrees last time I was there?

I am actually gonna pick up some of the saddle straps to see if that make it more stable, the BC just slides around to much for me. I actually can probably pick up the scout for cheaper than a cumberbund for the brigade (I will still use my current set up for my drysuit.)

You said you were looking at the Scout for travel?
Do you take steel 120's with you when you travel?
Most dive operators I know of use AL 80's.

I have a Poseiden Techlift that I use for local diving (steel 120's or 100 doubles) but I use a DUI Intrepid Explorer for travel because it packs WAYYY better than the Techlift and works well with AL 80 to single steel 120's

Aldora(Aldora.com) on CZM uses only 120 steel's unless you specifically ask for steel 80's.....great little operation----btw....

Back
Top Bottom