Zeagle Ranger, Vent doesn't seem to work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bevansmw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Having a little trouble with my BC, the two bottom vents work fine, however it's my understanding that by pulling the corrugated tube that is used to fill the bladder from the LP inflator that should vent the BC from the top.

I never seem to be able to get it to vent using this method, underwater or out of water. Is there something that I'm missing to getting this to work?

I've owned the BC less than a year and never really had any problems except this, I've mainly used the LP inflator button to vent out the Octo-Z when in a head-up position rather than trying to use the top vent.

It could be that the stainless steel cable that is inside of the hose is broken or otherwise not connected, perhaps missing pins (the lp inflator will have a pin that the cable connects to as well and the vent end). Do you wash the inside of the bladder out? Many do not, salt water will enter through the inflator and into the bladder. Many cables rust out and break. Or the diaphragm may be stuck.

My suggestion would be to remove the lp inflator hose (i.e. the hose between the lp inflator and the vent) - and inspect everything. This procedure will require cutting off the two zip ties (which will need to be replaced). If you see lots of salt deposits I would soak everything in some warm water to dissolve them. If the cable is broken or disconnected, then that is an easy fix. Missing pins can usually be had from your dealer.

Whatever you do I would try to forcefully pull on the dump - more than one person has pulled the hose off while in the water. This experience is why many people remove this vent or never use it.

I have a ranger and the pull dump seems to be fairly hard to get to open. I have to pull quite hard on the inflator.

If you are pulling on the hose and not the inflator you are not pulling on the cable that opens the valve. The cable runs inside the hose and is attached to the valve and the inflator with pins.

You almost have to pull on the inflator to get the cable tight enough to open the valve.

I see, I do pull on the corrugated hose .. I was reading the manual and noticed it does say to pull on the whole inflator assembly. I'll definately try that.

I've never noticed a steel cable inside of the corrugated hose when I've unscrewed the Octo-Z (LP inflator/reg combo) from the BCD. I always disconnect the Octo-Z from the BCD and store it with my regulator leaving the LP hose connected. Perhaps thats my problem ... I'll have to take a look at it when I get home.

I also rinse out the bladder as the corrugated hose fits right onto a regular hose so its easy to rinse out, this has been a regular step for me when cleaning up my gear. I fill the bladder with fresh water, dump it then with the inflator connected I inflate it and use the bottom vents to blow out the rest of the water. I have my own tanks so this generally isn't a problem for me at all.

I also do know that my LP hose is long enough as it's quite a bit longer than the corrugated hose and has some noticable extra slack in it.

I see, I do pull on the corrugated hose .. I was reading the manual and noticed it does say to pull on the whole inflator assembly. I'll definately try that.

I've never noticed a steel cable inside of the corrugated hose when I've unscrewed the Octo-Z (LP inflator/reg combo) from the BCD. I always disconnect the Octo-Z from the BCD and store it with my regulator leaving the LP hose connected. Perhaps thats my problem ... I'll have to take a look at it when I get home.

I also rinse out the bladder as the corrugated hose fits right onto a regular hose so its easy to rinse out, this has been a regular step for me when cleaning up my gear. I fill the bladder with fresh water, dump it then with the inflator connected I inflate it and use the bottom vents to blow out the rest of the water. I have my own tanks so this generally isn't a problem for me at all.

I also do know that my LP hose is long enough as it's quite a bit longer than the corrugated hose and has some noticable extra slack in it.

Of you have the octo-z than you prob have the BX connector. The cable connect behind this connection. To see the cable you will prob have to cut the zip tie off that secures the BX connector to you hose. I would think the steel cable connects to to the BX connector. ON my ranger if I do not grab the inflator and tug I cannot release air. I only use this method for adjust trim, I have a LTD 09 and it has the right shoulder dump which is my main method of dumping major air.

Hope this helps.

Joe

I almost never use my pull dump. Just as easy to raise my rump and use the hip dump. Even though I'm a regulator tech and I installed my Octo Plus myself and I KNOW it's right, I'm still a tad leery of pulling on it to dump air. When I'm vertical, the main dump valve on the Octo + moves a lot more air than the shoulder valve.

P.S. on removable BCIs, the cable is indeed mounted behind the hose disconnect. You'll have to look inside the corrugated hose with a flashlight to see if the stainless steel cable is wrapped around the pin.

I have a Zeagle Ranger and installed a Octo Z. You have make sure that the pin and cable are connected correctly. I would take it to a LDS and get it checked. My Zeagle works fine.

It's an easy fix. All you have to do is take off the power inflator, reach inside with a pair of cutters and snip that tiny wire.

Re-attach the inflator and you are back in business.

It's an easy fix. All you have to do is take off the power inflator, reach inside with a pair of cutters and snip that tiny wire.

Re-attach the inflator and you are back in business.

Dr WU, Why would he "snip that tiny wire"? Cutting the wire makes the shoulder dump useless. Obviously you missed the point that he doesn't have the power inflater...he has the Octo Z.

DO NOT cut the stainless steel wire that runs through the hose.

Dr Wu appears to be Trolling again..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom