Zeagle Express Tech vs BP & Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edavisj316

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I thought I had this answered f​or myself. But now I am having second thoughts. My diving is limited to mainly local shore diving in Central and South Florida with an occasional trip to the Keys. I am considering either the Express Tech with the 30# wing or an aluminium backplate with 30# wing and hogarthian harness. I would appreciate any input as to which way to go.

why not go to steel so you can save weight? You don't need that much of a wing btw. Deep Sea Supply stainless plate in the size that you need with a 20/26lb wing will be fine. Cuts that much more weight off of your weight belt. No brainer in my opinion, but to each his own. Save some money since you'll get no sales tax and the dss rig is comparably priced anyway. Dive Rite SS plate with Travel wing would be a decent option as well

I like my ET basic harness for "tidy bowl" diving. I have the 18# wing. I used to use a couple of inverted XS Scuba pockets on the waist for weight, but picked up zip touch pockets cheap on ebay. For warm water I don't get the resistance to dropping a bit of weight in pockets. It's not like you're gonna need much in the warm & blue. IMHO much easier than toting a steel plate all over the planet. If you're diving cold or dry, different story. To each their own. It's a big ocean. :)

Plus if your wife or buddy wants to dive your rig, no adjustment necessary.:D

Last edited:
I am considering either the Express Tech with the 30# wing or an aluminium backplate with 30# wing and hogarthian harness. I would appreciate any input as to which way to go.
I have both, although in actuality I have an Express Tech plate, which I then rigged with web harness - IOW, I DO NOT have the 'deluxe' harness. I would not recommend the ET Deluxe as sold, because of the harness, and the wing style (horseshoe).

Of the two, I find an AL plate to be a little more useful, as I need added weight, even when diving in warm (salt) water with a 1mm exposure suit. In fact, I prefer a steel plate to the AL plate for single cylinder diving, because of the weight of the plate.

The answer for YOU depends on your buoyancy characteristics and exposure suit preferences. If you are inherently negatively buoyant, then the ET might be a good option. If you are 'floaty', a metal plate is possibly a better choice. Yes, you can add weight if needed. But, why bother, if by buying a metal plate, you are optimally weighted without it? Since you specifically mention an AL plate, why did you choose that? Have you already checked your buoyancy with an AL plate, and your usual exposure suit and cylinder, and found that to be the best weighting? If so, go with it. If you are still light with that configuration, definitely don't go with the ET, rather consider a steel plate. If you are heavy with the AL plate, consider the ET.

I dived with the Express Tech (Basic version) and a weight belt for a long time but eventually acquired a BP/W with a steel plate. With the steel plate, an aluminum 80 tank, and a 3/2 mm wetsuit, I need only two pounds of lead, which I carry in trim pockets on the cambands.

I have not dived the Express Tech in several years, but I hold onto it thinking that it surely must be useful for something. It weighs almost nothing, and you can almost roll the thing up to pack it into a small space, as the thin plastic backplate is quite flexible. Maybe I will take it if I do an extended backpacking trip around the world.

For someone who is going to do almost all local diving in S. FL and the Keys (implying a thin wetsuit) with aluminum 80 tanks, I think the answer is a no-brainer: a steel backplate with standard Hogarthian harness, and a suitable wing (30 lbs. lift is probably fine). If you plan to use a steel tank, then maybe an aluminum backplate rather than steel.

What is the price of the Express Tech ? I ask because an option is a buying a wing from DSS, Oxy, Hog, Hollis. You can then get a softplate, hardplate or both. The wing, harness webbing and hardware can be used on both plates.

If you are currently diving local only, a steel hardplate makes sense if you normally carry weight more than 6 pounds. You can always buy a softplate in the future for travel diving. Softplates typically cost around $75 or less.

If you are wearing steel tanks, in warm water, with a thin suit, you probably do not want a steel plate.. you will be too heavy..

I thought this posted last night, but I guess not.

The reason for looking at the AL backplate is financial more than anything. I found a LDS with a full rig [AL BP, 30# doughnut wing, hog harness & cam straps] for about $250. I am also looking at the Express Tech at Zeagle Express for about $350 and the DRI package with SS backplate for about $390. So many choices.

The reason for looking at the AL backplate is financial more than anything. . .

Used gear at good prices shows up all the time on SB, not to mention eBay, Craigslist, etc. Backplates (certainly) and wings (for the most part) are pretty tough, and unless the gear was seriously abused it should have a lifespan of many years. Have you checked the Classifieds section here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom