Zeagle brigade weight release system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatoys:
Where the cable comes through from the far side of the bc, it runs through the back of the pack... and there is a crimped on stop on the red cable. This hits against the part on the back of the bc stopping it from just coming out and having it get lost.

Not a great explanation - but hopefully that makes sense.

Hmmm, OK, now I'm puzzled ... neither my Brigade nor my wife's Lazer has anything crimped on the end of the ripcord. I checked both the short (left pocket) and long (right pocket) cords on both BC's. They all have about 4" of cord beyond the last loop just sort of coiled up behind the pocket.

It appears that in an emergency dump we would have to have the forethought of not dropping the ripcord during an emergency ascent, else our BC's would be useless until we got another one.

PS - I realize you don't have to pull the ripcord out to dump the weights, only far enough to release the pockets, but I'm wondering if, in a real emergency, one would instinctively be more inclined to really give it a good long yank and pull it completely free.

Worth pointing out to Scott or Jim?

No... there is a stop... Here's what you do. In the far pocket - the one away from the handle, grab the red cord and start pulling on it. About 12 inches down from the end, you will see the stop that is crimped on the red cord. It's not at the end - because then it wouldn't pull through the loops... so it's about half way up that cord. It's that crimped on lead thing on the cable - you have to pull it pretty good to see it. It stops when it runs behind the BC.

Here's a picture:
zeaglestop.jpg

That help??

scubatoys:
No... there is a stop... It's that crimped on lead thing on the cable - you have to pull it pretty good to see it. It stops when it runs behind the BC.That help??

Well, shucks, sure enough ... on both our BC's, the stop is buried in the "tunnel" in the middle of the back, but I can feel a bit of a tumor on the cord. Thanks for the education!

It is supposed to be buried in the "tunnel" and not seen, so it is as the Zeagle Gods intended...

Here is a short clip that Jim Wittstruck and I put together in about 5 minutes, if that helps: http://www.scubamarketingsolutions.com/ripcord.html

1. No, that is not my personal BC...just one that was handy.

2. Yes, I know it looks like the Partridge Family Bus...it is just a sample.

3. No, I haven't gained weight, I have always been this fat.

:wink:

What a GREAT video Scott!! You do a great job of showing exactly how easy it is to rethread the ripcord system. :fruit:

Ty scubatoys for the picture that was perfect to see it... you guys rock, can't wait for the new gear tommorow

We have the Yellow Thingies(tm), but don't ever use them. They might be a convenience while boat diving if you're a "hand the weights up" sort of person. We climb up with all our gear, so that's not an issue. I've never lost a weight, and often have a 2lb one in the weight pocket. As everyone keeps saying, the ripcord system is simple, effective, and intuitive.

I'm really not worried about what happens to my weights in a ditch. I've been diving for 27 years and have never dropped weights except during a drill. If I have to ditch for real, my last concern will be retrieving the lead.

Another happy Brigade user here. I have had mine for 3 months/15 dives and thankfully haven't had to use the Ripcord yet, and I've never had a standard square lead weight fall through. Upon inspection, it would be nearly impossible to force one through the bottom of the BC--if you did you would probably incur irreparable damges to the BC. The system does have a stop as to prevent you from pulling the cord completely out. My ripcord is plenty long as to not have an accidental release occur. Takes 5 minutes or less to reset. Overall great system- I do think the white retainer cords could be a tad shorter, but that's just being picky. Over all very happy with my Brigade; great fit and the quality of of the construction is absolutely superb. Thanks to the people at Zeagle & Scuba Toys.

Hey Scott! How about some Zeagle Swag?

Back
Top Bottom