Zeagle BCD straps changeable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanerdnick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well despite having one perfectly good Zeagle BCD already, I picked up a Zeagle Ranger LTD the other day. Now I know I'm going to have to send it in for service because the bladder will not inflate. But I want to know if the straps are changeable because the L ones that are on there are slightly too big. Any Zeagle folks that can give me some direction?

Hi Kreiner,

Everything on the Ranger LTD is pretty much interchangeable, you can see how the shoulders and vest section separate from each other in our sizing video. The only consideration to make is when going from size SM up to a larger size because of the change in buckle size (1.5" to 2"), but that doesn't sound like its a factor here.

And, of more personal interest to me, what exactly is preventing the bladder from inflating? Have you contacted our Service department already? I'm kind of curious.

Jeff,

I have no idea what is keeping it from inflating. I purchased it from an Air Force Airman who bought it in about 2007 (he thinks) and all it did was hang in his house. Never saw water, never hooked up to air. Since it was so cheap I picked it up and first thing I did was try to inflate it and sure enough you put air in and it immediately deflates. He said he took it to the local dive shop here in Okinawa but they either couldn't do anything for it or didn't know what was wrong with it.

Great to know about the straps. I'm super geeked to get this thing in the water after I get the bladder figured out. If you have any ideas on it let me know but otherwise I'll probably just contact the customer service folks and see if I can't have it sent in and fixed.

Obvious question: do you hear air rushing out somewhere?

My buddy has a ranger and a LDS reassembled his inflator incorrectly one time, but this only caused it to leak, not a catastrophic failure.

Also, check you dump valves for a good seal. I try to inflate it at the bottom of the pool to see where the air is going. Please don't be wearing it at the time...

If you swap out the straps, I'd totally be interested in the L straps!
l bought an XL Ranger here on the board to try out, loved it, so I bought a L Wicked Ranger and I'd love to swap out the straps on the XL!!

:D

Jeff,
I think I may be in the opposite boat. I have a medium Ranger and when wearing the BC in my living room, I only get about an inch or two of cinch in my shoulder adjustments. I'm I'm reading your post correctly, I can't simply slap on a pair of large shoulder straps, can I? Currently, I have the back of the straps (behind the velcro) adjusted out about an inch. If I secure my cummerbund around my hips, my shoulder straps need to be adjusted almost all the way out.

Where is the optimum location (personal preference aside) for the cummbund on my Ranger to sit? Should it be low or high on the waist, directly on the hips, etc? Do I have any other options if the Medium and Large shoulder modules are not interchangable?

Jeff,
I think I may be in the opposite boat. I have a medium Ranger and when wearing the BC in my living room, I only get about an inch or two of cinch in my shoulder adjustments. I'm I'm reading your post correctly, I can't simply slap on a pair of large shoulder straps, can I?

That's sounding like you might need a larger shoulder section. Is this with just a t-shirt on, no drysuit etc? You should be able to put a new set of shoulders on, see below for more details and what we need to know.

Currently, I have the back of the straps (behind the velcro) adjusted out about an inch.

That's not an adjustment point, those three straps are meant to secure the shoulder section to the vest and have no bearing on the sizing of the BC. You'll want those to be fully cinched up with no free play.

If I secure my cummerbund around my hips, my shoulder straps need to be adjusted almost all the way out.

Where is the optimum location (personal preference aside) for the cummbund on my Ranger to sit? Should it be low or high on the waist, directly on the hips, etc? Do I have any other options if the Medium and Large shoulder modules are not interchangable?

The location that we expect everyone to place the cummerbund is pretty much right over the belly button, below your diaphragm (so you're not interfering with your breathing, obviously). I like to think of it as having the weight pockets sitting on your hips, that's the best advice I can typically give over the phone after we determine your measurements. Everything after that, as you said, is personal preference and comfort. I'm assuming you've watched the sizing video so you can see how I've got it on my midsection.

Now as far as slapping on a new pair of shoulders for your specific BC you should be ok unless the Ranger is old enough to have a different style of buckle that isn't compatible with what we're using now. Going from a Medium to a Large shoulder should be fine as only the size Small shoulders used the 1.5" wide buckles, the Medium and up sizes use a 2" wide buckle.

Could you show me a picture of what you've got?

I was wearing a thick sweatshirt to sort of help with the idea of having my wet or drysuit on. I also figure about an 1 to 1.5" in all the adjustment areas should give adequate adaptability from sweatshirt to drysuit. I'll have to cinch my back piece back up then, that's good to know. If I move the cummerbund up to my navel, that will allow me to put the back pieces back.

I'll put on some thick clothes and send you some pictures this evening when I get home. Should I send them in a PM, or here on the board for the edification of others?

Thanks for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom