Z3 v Z2x

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive shop today stated that the Z3 is nothing but a rebranded Z2x, to avoid confusion. Is this true?

I have tried to look it up, but Atomic does not list anything for the Z3 on their website yet.

Thanks All,

Both should breath the same, I believe most changes were mostly cosmetic. Atomic may chime in with more details.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hi MikadoWu

Simple answer is yes....We discontinued the Z2X and replaced it with the new generation Z3. The look is slightly different but features are essentially the same. We have our technicians updating our site but there is a bunch of information and graphics going on the page and this takes a few weeks. The Z3 has the fixed 7 port first stage....Swiveling second stage (same features as the Z2X). The website will be up and running with all new products, including our new blade fins and Z3, within the next couple weeks. Thank you MikaduWu.

Isn't there a major difference in service interval between the Z2x (2 yr suggested) and Z3 (3 yr suggested)?

I'm still waiting to hear what specific changes in the T3/Z3 allow for the extra year. Assuming that there's nothing special that's changed from the T2x/ST1/M1/B2/Z2x, will Atomic be announcing a change in recommended service interval for those older regs, from 2 yr to 3yr?

Isn't there a major difference in service interval between the Z2x (2 yr suggested) and Z3 (3 yr suggested)?

I'm still waiting to hear what specific changes in the T3/Z3 allow for the extra year. Assuming that there's nothing special that's changed from the T2x/ST1/M1/B2/Z2x, will Atomic be announcing a change in recommended service interval for those older regs, from 2 yr to 3yr?

According to the below thread, there is only a 2 year Warranty on the Z3, the difference being the material.

Though, I would still like to know any difference between the z2x and z3, otherwise why would they not be priced the same, and why not buy the Z2x. Basically the same is not, the same.

Should I wait the 3 weeks for the Z3 or take the Z2x now?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/atomic-aquatics/444480-atomic-z3-regulator.html

Hi Dr. Lecter

The only regulator in our line up to have the 3 year/300 dives service interval is the T3. The Z3 still has the 2 year/300 dives interval. The reason for the T3 having a 3 year service interval is due to the monel components. The T2X has similar components but has already had the 2 year/300 dive service interval and we wanted to keep this consistent. We made the change with the T3 only.

MikadoWu--The two regulators have the same features. The reason for the difference in price has to do with the cosmetic changes to the regulator. The front cover ring is metal instead of plastic and the swivel is PVD coated. This is why the Z3 is the $20 more than the Z2X.

Thank you!

According to the below thread, there is only a 2 year Warranty on the Z3, the difference being the material.

Though, I would still like to know any difference between the z2x and z3, otherwise why would they not be priced the same, and why not buy the Z2x. Basically the same is not, the same.

Should I wait the 3 weeks for the Z3 or take the Z2x now?

Functionally they are the same - just like all of the Atomic regs. That is one of their beauties. Pick your material and go blow bubbles.

Here are the differences that I know about with the Z3:

First stage is sealed.

Yoke is machined to be lighter.

Yoke knob is updated.

Second stage purge ring is metal.

Swivel hose is coated.

Some difference graphics.

IMHO the reg difference is not significant and like model year changes in cars if you can live with the Z2x then make a deal with your local shop to take their old inventory off their hands at an incentive price so they can bring in the latest and greatest. To wit I dive an old T1x and like it.

Back
Top Bottom