Z2 first stage port positions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
As posted in the regulator forum section.
I have a new Z2 reg and I like the concept of the fixed 7 port first stage but the ports are positioned so that the hoses exit at 45 degrees on either side of first stage when it is attached to a tank valve in a vertical position. I would like to use the forward facing (45 degree) ports for my primary second stage and inflator but the top of my wing puts pressure against the hoses (where they join the clamp) when it is inflated.
I appreciate that when the first stage is screwed together the ports line up in this position but is there any way that a Z2 first stage can be configured so that two of the ports are on either side at 90 degrees?

Not really as it all has to with where the threads are cut and when the body an turret come together. I have three Z2s and all three have the ports in slightly different alignments. If it really bugs ya you can always up grade the to the swivel turret. Which FWIW I have swivel turret that I would trade for a fixed turret plus some cash.

Not really as it all has to with where the threads are cut and when the body an turret come together. I have three Z2s and all three have the ports in slightly different alignments. If it really bugs ya you can always up grade the to the swivel turret. Which FWIW I have swivel turret that I would trade for a fixed turret plus some cash.

Thanks Scared Silly for the kind offer.
I solved the problem by swapping first stage with my wife- her B2 first stage is perfect for me and my z2 first works great with her BCD!
Bottom line tho- IMO Atomic should design the 7 port non-turret first stage with two LP ports at 90 degrees, it's generally the best option for reg second stages where the interstage hose attaches to the 2nd stage at 90 degrees- it forms the most natural bow in the hose and usually results in the least torsion.

Swapping with the wife's gear is not always a good solution :).

Cutting threads in such a manner would be possible but would require some precision milling that is not regularly done (AFAIK).

Swapping with the wife's gear is not always a good solution :).

Cutting threads in such a manner would be possible but would require some precision milling that is not regularly done (AFAIK).

I'm not sure what you are referring to and I did not modify the first stages in any way. She had a B2 and I had a Z2- both with miflex hoses.
The two first stages were both showing ~ the same IP so I swapped the units complete. Her reg now has a Z2 first stage and a B2 second. Mine has a B2 first and a Z2 second, I don't see any potential issues with this and a function check in the pool shows they are both working great.
Cheers

It is not always about what works. The B2 is the higher end reg cause of the swivel turret, the wife should always get the better gear. :).

Hi reefrat:

I have the Atomic Z2 as well and it's easily the best breathing regulator that I have used. It's better than my SEA4/Micra and on par with the Scubapro MK25/S600 that I tried recently. In regards to the hose routing, do you have the turret pointed downwards or upwards? Personally, I have the turret pointed downwards. If you're looking at the diver from his back, my BCD inflator and safe second stage hoses occupy the forward ports that point 45 degrees toward the diver. My drysuit and primary second stage hoses occupy the ports just aft of those. Here's a picture of my hose routing. Yes, it does produce a fairly sharp bend but that's the only way I can route the hoses with the turret pointing downwards. Using the rear facing ports, my hoses hit the tank valves. So, I accept the fact that I have to examine this hose carefully and that it might require replacement earlier than the other hoses, due to the sharp bend (won't work with a hose protector - I took mine off).

Honestly, I wish Atomic eliminated the 7 ports and just made 5 fixed ports (same positions as the B2). That would make for cleaner hose routing. For the recreational diver, I can't imagine why we would need seven ports.
z2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom