Yukon tangent thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's all real nice, but it is, I fear, wishful thinking. It is perhaps the way the law should go, but it is not the way in which I've often seen it flow. Leaving a diver behind is an unusual event. Having a diver die is an unusual event. What do you think the odds are of having two such unusual events occur without a connection?

That, I suspect, would be enough to make the case.

If you don't do head counts or roll calls or something to make sure you have all your divers and a solo diver dies during a dive; the chances of that dead diver being left behind are probably quite high.

Most of the cases I see involve negligence. Usually it is rather clear, dive guide takes diver with less than 10 dives to 170, runs out of air and abandons the rookie who also runs out of air and suffers an embolism on the way to the surface ... that sort of thing.

Wow! You're not kidding.

There was a motion for summary judgment filed by the defense in that one based on a waiver ... judge threw it out.

Last edited:
I have only read the first 280 posts in this thread so forgive me if someone has already made this point.

Also, I am a very new diver and probably everyone else posting in this thread has more experience than I do.

That said, I do see value in the discussion of the roll call and the boat leaving without the diver. NOT that it would have saved HIS life, but the discussion MIGHT save someone the live of someone else. How? Every single person reading this thread should now be aware on every dive they do in the future if a roll call is done. If one is not I suggest it it incumbent upon that person to in some one assure that everyone is back on board the boat or inquire of the crew how they know everyone is back on board the boat.

I, for one, will never sit silently and allow a boat to leave a dive site in the future if I am not sure the crew has made an effort to assure that every soul that entered the water is accounted for.

Again the person needs not just more but better training training. Try calling in directions while being shot at. When your life is at risk, not just while taking part in trying to save someone else. Completely different world of stress. Calling in indirect fire under such circumstances. You are saying that I would be so scared I would be too busy crapping my pants to do my job. Ridiculous. Calling in directions here could kill me and all of my platoon. We still did it, under stress mind you and didn't make stupid mistakes. Your argument that people cannot perform to their fullest in an emergency is a statement from someone who has never been trained correctly and never been tested.

That is absolutely absurd. Emergency situations are fraught with adrenaline and fear. Even the most experienced EMT's, and ER personnel have trouble dealing with this type of situation. A layperson who is available and willing to help in an emergency is more than encouraged to do so, unless or until someone more qualified can be there and take over. Your above statements are ridiculous, condescending, and flat out wrong. Anyone can Monday morning quarterback and do it better then.

That wasn't my argument. Since you missed it the first time, it is above. I never said they couldn't handle the stress, I said it was a damned hard to deal with situation even for them. I would rather have help from a layperson or lesser trained medic, than die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now about the head count or role call as some call it. I dove with Waterhorse Chaters Aug of 09 for my first boat dive which was a 3 tank dive at the Coronado Islands. We did a total of 7 head counts for the whole day. 1 head count before we left the dock, 2 head counts before and after Dive # 1 , 2 head counts before and after Dive #2 and 2 head counts before and after the finial dive of the day Dive # 3 .
Each time the Capt / Divemaster read your full first name and full last name and would not continue on to the next name until he heard you reply to you name and raise your hand. The crew that day did a great job and everyone had a great time. I will be back diving with them in a few more months , there a First Class operation in my book. That s my 2 PSI worth:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I would dive with those guys again too.

I have been reading this thread since Day 1 and i have never seen so many EGO s flying around here you need Air Traffic Control to sort you all out. Yap yap yap off subject on subject :shakehead::shakehead: It s very sad:depressed: that a diver died it sad whenever a diver has an accident or when a diver dies. Lets just wait and see what the reports have to say.
Now about the head count or role call as some call it. I dove with Waterhorse Chaters Aug of 09 for my first boat dive which was a 3 tank dive at the Coronado Islands. We did a total of 7 head counts for the whole day. 1 head count before we left the dock, 2 head counts before and after Dive # 1 , 2 head counts before and after Dive #2 and 2 head counts before and after the finial dive of the day Dive # 3 .
Each time the Capt / Divemaster read your full first name and full last name and would not continue on to the next name until he heard you reply to you name and raise your hand. The crew that day did a great job and everyone had a great time. I will be back diving with them in a few more months , there a First Class operation in my book. That s my 2 PSI worth:D

In this thread I am reading how solo diving is bad. I solo dive all the time off of dive boats here in California. I am personally responsible for getting myself back to the boat no one else. I hate diving with someone I don't know.

I have dove with Waterhorse quite a bit in the last few months, and never did they NOT do a head count/roll call. I have briefed my students on this standard of operating prior to leaving the dock every time...and they have not let me down.

on my Yukon double tanker with them on Sunday, it was a phenomenal Dive with about 50 ft of viz.

Let's stop all the finger pointing and axe grinding until we get some ACTUAL facts that we can discuss...we have beat this horse to death....

well two horses actually...roll call horse and solo diver horse...

Also, let's remember the Family of our recently departed diver.

Last edited:
In this thread I am reading how solo diving is bad. I solo dive all the time off of dive boats here in California. I am personally responsible for getting myself back to the boat no one else. I hate diving with someone I don't know.

Just so I understand this correctly, are you saying that our only choices are 1) dive solo or 2) dive with someone we don't know?

Back
Top Bottom