Yukon tangent thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS - When I called 911, I made a mistake in describing the location. Should I have had time off until I was cleared for not contributing to his demise by my error?

That's on you.
If you were not able to assist with the proper mind set in an emergency perhaps you need additional training or watch the next few incidents until you can grasp the proper procedures or descriptions when talking to law enforcement. Anyone in an incident who is not helping is hindering. If you caused a delay in the response of emergency personnel and you were unsure what you were doing you should have handed the phone or radio off to someone with more experience or a clearer mind.

Thank you for the explanation, but I'm in law, so it isn't necessary. Don't misunderstand me, I don't think the case would stand a chance at winning, but there are attorneys out there that would take the case, given enough money. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to court. Given, I don't know anything other than what I read here, and as most of it is conflicting...well, you get the point.

I may be wrong, but it seems like you think I believe the boat is at fault and should be punished in some way, I'm just stating information that people could use. In my original post on the matter I said something to the tune of "I'm not taking sides on the boat issue."

My post, which you quoted, was addressed to someone else's comment about liability.

Stopped by the infamous Humboldt early this morning to have a look around and walked around the dock while they were loading passengers.

The Captain that was in charge during the accident is already back to work and the death certificate isn't even dry, it hasn't been a full week yet. I would think this person would be on leave until the investigation was done and cleared them of wrongdoing. Or perhaps the trauma of being involved in a death would require some time away from the job for the sake of mental stability. In any other job the person would be on leave if involved in a death until cleared. This seems quite disrespectful to the family and diving community here.

Dave:

Why don't you just tell us why you have a grudge against the boat and/or operators and then maybe we can understand why you ignore common sense and continue to beat a dead horse?

Thanks.

Your comparisons are vague and absurd. Dive boats are supposedly staffed with dive professional certified by credited agencies and insured through third party companies because of the nature of the work. You cannot compare them to taxi drivers or an actual shuttle boat not involved in diving. When you go on a dive boat you expect a competent dive certified crew not a guy who normally drives a fishing boat and some 18 year old deck hand who doesn't know the difference between a 1st and 2nd stage.

A better comparison might be an airline crew, specially trained and considered experts in safety in their field. Although passengers don't need a certification to ride a plane there are safety rules and regulations to follow, like a dive boat. Wasn't there a case a while back where a passenger was left on a plane accidentally overnight and died and the company was sued because their professionally trained staff failed at their duty?

Seems a lot of people just expect a dive boat to drop them off at a site and pick them up, no frills, no safety, no food. Shut up and dive and pay the $100. If that's the case I need to buy a dive boat take advantage of some suckers.

Just because you may expect a competent crew, etc., that does not impose a duty on them to rescue you if you get into trouble. It may be good customer relations, but it is not required by law. Sorry.

That's on you.
If you were not able to assist with the proper mind set in an emergency perhaps you need additional training or watch the next few incidents until you can grasp the proper procedures or descriptions when talking to law enforcement. Anyone in an incident who is not helping is hindering. If you caused a delay in the response of emergency personnel and you were unsure what you were doing you should have handed the phone or radio off to someone with more experience or a clearer mind.

So noted. Screw 'em - let someone else call it in. Good Advice!

You still think the boat & crew were responsible?

Wait for the report right. At least partially. There is no way to be 0% liable here.

Dave:

Why don't you just tell us why you have a grudge against the boat and/or operators and then maybe we can understand why you ignore common sense and continue to beat a dead horse?

Thanks.

No grudge against anyone. I am pissed about the entire incident. Perhaps it hits the diving community here harder since this is home and the death was here. I guess I can take the stop whining perspective next time when it is in your area and in your community.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom