Yukon tangent thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rtfm: You didn't read the thread, did you? :wink:

Don't bother to ask about what type gas he was breathing -- that opened a HUGE can o' worms! :snicker:

Guilty. I only read a fraction of the 270 some odd posts.

Regarding gas, the reason I bring this up is 100 or so ft in California is not the same as 100ft in the tropics. From the descriptions I am reading of the dive site - can be surgy, can have strong current, vis can be abysmal, etc. and of course, water temps requiring thick wetsuit or a drysuit - I am not sure air or 32% is such a great gas for this dive.

. . . :)
:focus:

county of san diego: Press releases

case number: 10-01903
name: robert michael clampitt
city of residence:
dob: 08/03/1962
place of death: n 32 46 45 w 117 16 57, san diego ca
place of injury: n 32 46 45 w 117 16 57, san diego ca
date/time of death: 9/11/2010 4:20:00 pm
date/time injury: 09/11/2010 unk

summary: the decedent was a divorced 48 year old caucasian male who was retired from the military and living alone in his apartment in city heights. On 09/11/10, the decedent and thirteen other patrons boarded a waterhouse charter for a diving excursion. All fourteen divers entered the water for their first diving stop at the yukon wreckage and the decedent was diving solo. He was later found submerged under the water unresponsive and was brought to the surface where cardiopulmonary resuscitative efforts were initiated. San diego lifeguards then transported him to their headquarters where they were met with paramedics. Despite continued efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

cause of death/updated cause of death: pending
contributing conditions:
manner: pending
investigating agency: san diego police next of kin notified? Yes

that's the problem, adobo, we don't know anything except that he was found on the bottom. As for the individual that said, "his tank was empty", he did not attribute a source to that statement so the statement is suspect. We know the guy was last seen 'looking at something in the sand next to the wreck' because a news story said so - again, suspect.

Yeah, that's one of the replies that I read.

But again, my point is, people fixating on the roll call is pointless.

BTW, I'll say it again, there are things that we can never now and there are things that we can find out. (There is information outside of press releases, right?) Some of those things we can find out are actually useful in trying to compare whether the diver's approach was compatible with the dive.

Wrong. More like almost 2 miles.
I just plugged in the GPS coordinates of the Yukon and the GPS coordinates of the beach directly east of the wreck. It's 1.83 miles. I was pretty far off on my estimation. That's a long swim for sure, but if I were abandoned by a boat with no other boats in the area and darkness approaching, I'd start heading in the direction of the beach with my SMB inflated and noisemakers at the ready. My buddy would be right there with me. I'd like our chances of reaching shore.

With respect to the incident...
  • I'm certain that a formal roll call will become standard operating procedure on the Humboldt and every other dive op in the San Diego area. That's a good thing.
  • I hope that solo divers will make a better effort to communicate their dive plans to the boat crew and at least one other paying passenger on the boat. That conversation might consist of: "Hey, I plan to have a bottom time of 30-50 minutes on this dive. If I'm not back by then, I might be in some sort of trouble. Please look for me..."
  • I hope that the next time someone sees a solo diver with an AL80 playing around in the sand at the Yukon at 105 fsw, that person will be more assertive and take action to intervene (or at least ask whether the diver was "OK").

there was a boat arriving on the Yukon that afternoon when the Humbolt pulled away to the RubyE
... probably a good bet that they would have seen a diver that surfaced in distress

The Brandon .. your right, this thread has gone far afield and I'm sorry it has , but I'm not sorry about speculating .. some of the most useful and enlightening information has come from this forum and it's what ifs

A person without a buddy, Or maybe solo ... strike up a conversation with someone, get them talking, be sociable, so they remember you just in case .. I've seen that posted here on SB (good ideas Bubble)

A person without a buddy, Or maybe solo ... strike up a conversation with someone, get them talking, be sociable, so they remember you just in case .. I've seen that posted here on SB (good ideas Bubble)

Or wear gear that is colourful, for example unforgettable neon pink webbing on a backplate/wing.

:D Works for me...check my avatar.

I do a lot of walk-on charters here in Ontario, often with insta-buddies. In the past 4 years people have pointed, laughed and remembered me.

Plus nobody wants to take the gear by mistake.

:D Works for me...check my avatar.

I do a lot of walk-on charters here in Ontario, often with insta-buddies. In the past 4 years people have pointed, laughed and remembered me.

Plus nobody wants to take the gear by mistake.

Well, we'd best not dive together! :rofl3: I have pink smilies on my jet fins, too.

[*]I'm certain that a formal roll call will become standard operating procedure on the Humboldt and every other dive op in the San Diego area. That's a good thing.[/list]

I know FOR A FACT it is standard on other boats in SD and supposed to be standard with this one. We can say for sure that it was not done in this incident because someone was left. So someones laziness or forgetfulness contributed to a death.

But it still rubs me raw when someone says that this is a lesson for the business to pay more attention to the way they run a charter. It should not take a death to wake people up to take things more seriously. Are we just supposed to say "Hey Humboldt" you screwed up once, we think you learned your lesson and it probably won't happen again, sorry someone had to get killed on your boat, so it's all good, let's go diving my friend?"

DEFINITELY NOT!

Back
Top Bottom