Yukon tangent thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I've dived with the Spectre since 1995 and have never been asked for my dive log. In fact, was not asked to see my c-card until a couple of years ago when it became policy.

Boy, has this thread gone way off topic! Let's remember that a diver has passed away doing a sport that each of us loves. For what ever reason, something went wrong and he is no longer with us. Let us use this as a reminder and a lesson to never take diving for granted.

Don

Can't remember the last time mine was checked buying gear or getting a fill.

I don't recall being carded buying gear, but getting fills, yes. Places like Sport Chalet even have you fill out a log including your cert information before they will give you a fill. Every shop I've been in will check at least the first time you come in. After that they usually remember their customers.

Couldn't stay away, could you? Even after telling people not to feed the trolls...sad.

Call shenanigans if you want. Then go pick up a copy of the NAUI S&P. That is precisely how it reads. Sure, a competent instructor will go beyond that requirement, but who said the people certifying these non-swimmers are competent? The rest of your blah blah blah crap is just you getting butthurt that I am RIGHT. You don't like it, do what I do and try to change it by helping people learn the right way. Don't try to suppress information just because you don't happen to like the facts as you tried to do with multiple PM's earlier. Talk about weak.

So, by your statements in this thread.....

1. NAUI does not require a swim test
2. PADI and SDI DO require a swim test
3. There is a growing problem with certified divers being unable to swim

Problem solved whine to NAUI and dont make blanket statements about subjects of which you have little understanding or knowledge.

Maybe.... Where could I have possibly gotten the idea that you had an unreasonably low opinion of solo divers or photographers...

Your lack of reading comprehension is not my problem.

Have you ever even been in the water with a photographer or is this just something you're parroting from all your dive instructor buddies? I honestly can't believe this opinion is based on personal experience, unless you are a divemaster specializing in vacation-only divers.

Nope, never. I don't even know what a camera is.

Tell me, are instructors recommended to carry a camera during a class? If not, why do you suppose that is?

So, by your statements in this thread.....

1. NAUI does not require a swim test
2. PADI and SDI DO require a swim test
3. There is a growing problem with certified divers being unable to swim

Problem solved whine to NAUI and dont make blanket statements about subjects of which you have little understanding or knowledge.

PADI allows the swim test with gear, which is not a swim test at all. I fully agree that NAUI's standard sucks. I was amazed to learn that they do not actually require a distance swim. It's horrible. Both of them have huge amounts of room for improvement, no question.

It's sad that I have to explain these issues to a so-called instructor.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Ladies and Gentlemen, you have been reminded multiple times by multiple moderators of the specific purpose of this forum and the corresponding rules. Here they are once again,
Rick Murchison:
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
Thanks in advance,
Rick

I fail to see the connection between swim test requirements and the death of this diver. I do see trolling and attacking. I do see lots of off topic posts. If these continue, thread bans will be handed out. If those fail to correct the increasingly off course, course of this thread, the thread will be closed. Please, respect the dead and follow the rules, no matter your stake in this. I'm sure we can all behave like adults.

Really? You're really going to do this? Okay.

She said I was wrong, I said divers should be able to swim. You do the math. As for thanking Ken, there are a lot of things he could be thanked for, but unfortunately, he quoted an outdated S&P. NAUI has no swimming distance requirement. Feel free to reference my response for their current minimum requirement.

You are misquoting. She never said divers should NOT be able to swim. See MY previous statement.

I'm not holier than anyone. In fact, everything I've stated has been good common sense. The fact that it has been received so poorly surprises me more than anyone. I thought this community promoted knowledge and good practices. I see I overestimated this place.

People here are more than happy to share thier ideas with anyone who will listen.

In the interests of avoiding getting this thread locked again, I will abstain from commenting on PADI. Nothing against them, of course. There are some very good PADI instructors out there. But there are some very, very bad ones as well.

Again, report them to the agency they represent. Agencies cannot oversee everything happenes in thier name.

From what I have seen in your wife's posts, I wouldn't set foot near her operation. More likely, I will be helping retrain the divers that come out of her class after they have their near death (hopefully only near) experience with the training they received.

If you take all her post out of context as you have every other post, I hope you stay away from our shop. There Your "retraining" would get someone hurt.

If you take all her post out of context as you have every other post, I hope you stay away from our shop. There Your "retraining" would get someone hurt.

Staying away from your shop shouldn't be difficult. It's been years since I was in Kuwait and I don't really have any desire to go back.

At least 3/4 of the posts in this thread have nothing to do with the accident.

It should really get purged.

Back
Top Bottom