You're at 84 ft and you see a school of bullsharks. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suprisingly look them in the eye. And make a group - then we are much bigger than the shark.
Mania

In all seriousness, if I (or anyone) was on a wreck and a shark gets a bit nosy or possibly aggressive, what do you do? I highly doubt the old Lt. Robinson Cruseau blow on the nose will work and besides I don't thnk I can punch and crap at the same time. Sounds like you roll over and die!

Ok this is all good advice if you're at 84 ft, but what do you do if you're at 85 ft? :D

oversea:
In all seriousness, if I (or anyone) was on a wreck and a shark gets a bit nosy or possibly aggressive, what do you do? I highly doubt the old Lt. Robinson Cruseau blow on the nose will work and besides I don't thnk I can punch and crap at the same time. Sounds like you roll over and die!

Their noses, eyes & gills are sensitive. If they're nosy enough to be close enough for it, hit them on one of these 3 places. If they're just inquisitive but maybe closer than you like, spread your arms to look bigger, look it in the eye and even swim towards it. If you have a speargun, unload the band, turn it around and hit them in the gills with the butt as hard as you can.

The majority of species aren't interested in anything that fights back, they want something dead or dying that makes an easy meal.

For the most part, unless you are spearing, none of this is an issue. They're curious & will look you over but otherwise won't bother you.

If it's a GDGW, well, who knows? With them, it's not the one you see that gets you, but the one you don't. Even with them, lacking fish, scuba divers are prolly at fairly little risk, compared to swimmers & surfers.

I’ve discovered the best shark repellant is film left in my camera. Run out of film (or battery power) and here come the sharks.

dlndavid:
Ok this is all good advice if you're at 84 ft, but what do you do if you're at 85 ft? :D

All bets are off. It's time to scream like a little girl on a disney ride & hope they don't eat you :wink:

Wayward Son:
All bets are off. It's time to scream like a little girl on a disney ride & hope they don't eat you :wink:

That's kinda what I thought. :eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom