Your upgrade sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's DB?
As diversteve said, it's short for data base. While we have several servers working in unison to handle the web end, we only have one mondo server handling the data base. The data base is the record of all of ScubaBoard and how you are able to navigate to an individual thread, post or PM. Think of it like a book with a very detailed table of contents. At any moment we have between 2,000 and 3,000 people all trying to access that book, looking up the table of contents and then zipping to the part they want to read. Back in January, it was over 150 queries per second and I am sure it's grown since then. When there is an error or disconnect, it's never obvious to the query. It just keeps looking, tying up the db for everyone one else who wants to look at it. Almost every DB has errors, but when a part of your system dies, in this case the part intended to speed things up (mem-cache), the problem snowballs and the usability of the system degrades. Add to that a rather aggressive traveling schedule over the past few months for the technical staff, and this one kind of got away from us. Mea culpa. You can bet that we will be tuning mem-cache as we see fit over the next few days and we are looking forward to getting the new design and move away from this buggy one which doesn't quite fit any more. I hope this helps.

queries per second for the last 24 hours:
- avg => 226
- peak => 1330

As diversteve said, it's short for data base. While we have several servers working in unison to handle the web end, we only have one mondo server handling the data base. The data base is the record of all of ScubaBoard and how you are able to navigate to an individual thread, post or PM. Think of it like a book with a very detailed table of contents. At any moment we have between 2,000 and 3,000 people all trying to access that book, looking up the table of contents and then zipping to the part they want to read. Back in January, it was over 150 queries per second and I am sure it's grown since then. When there is an error or disconnect, it's never obvious to the query. It just keeps looking, tying up the db for everyone one else who wants to look at it. Almost every DB has errors, but when a part of your system dies, in this case the part intended to speed things up (mem-cache), the problem snowballs and the usability of the system degrades. Add to that a rather aggressive traveling schedule over the past few months for the technical staff, and this one kind of got away from us. Mea culpa. You can bet that we will be tuning mem-cache as we see fit over the next few days and we are looking forward to getting the new design and move away from this buggy one which doesn't quite fit any more. I hope this helps.

Of course, I assume you are using MySQL? Cool DB. They think they are a real DB, and in fact are, up to a point. Perhaps you have reached it?
Just an aside... Facebook runs exclusively on MySQL. We aren't anywhere near to Facebook in terms of users or throughput. They do pretty well for using a play toy DB. :D

BTW: I was about to chime in at one point and complain about the slower speed. Then I checked my install of Firefox and found I was down rev, once I updated the speed issues disappeared.

Anyway, THANKS for the upgrade. They are almost always painful in the short term for all involved, but I appreciate the improvements despite the bumps in the road.

mysql is far from perfect, but it's generally very scalable (much beyond the sb's current usage). lots of 1 billion page view + orgs are built around mysql (read: youtube, facebook, etsy, and many more). if you look at oracle's (9-11g) road map, you'll see they have actually been influenced by parts of mysql's feature set for the last few years (read: adding delayed transactions, results cache, integrating index+data buffers).

mysql is also open source and free, which allows for forks and patches (like the ones released by percona, google and facebook). it may not be a great fit for whatever your working on, but it's generally a solid choice for most web apps requiring a stateful relational datastore (think rails, django, drupal, wp).

that being said, things should be fairly performant as of this evening.

User Friendly Interface
The user interface is designed specifically for efficiency, making it quick and easy for your users to intuitively browse and post on your forums.

Of course, I assume you are using MySQL? Cool DB. They think they are a real DB, and in fact are, up to a point. Perhaps you have reached it?

Cause I see the major delays on query based "clicks".

Don't get me wrong. I am a big fan of PG, but it might not scale either. So you are left with Oracle, IBMDB2, or "horrors" MS_SQL (which is a damn fine platform).

I was screwing with you (sorta) on the MySql knocks. I am seeing a pretty good improvement now. You also had the misfortune of doing this right as IE9 came out. I am wondering though, is the issue with IE9 the browser ID occurring, or something within it specifically, 'cause they were supposed to be converging on standards.

On the DB though, might be time to run a split DB, and lock all threads older than... say... 5 years to do so.

Or, throw more hardware at it. A Grid. :)

...and actually I do agree, for forward facing websites, MySql wins hands down.

I think it's still slower than it was before the upgrade, but performance has improved in the last couple of days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom