Your thoughts on the Robert Gaskin and Muskie, please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove the Brockville wall drift as a night dive earlier this week and it was very enjoyable. The current was mild in my opinion. Quite a few big fish out and if you keep your eyes peeled, there's usually a nice bottle to be found.

Wrecks in the currents, like the Muskie and Lillie, can also vary in level of complexity based on how fast the current is running on a particular day (or time of day) as well as other factors. I like both wrecks (well I like almost every dive to be honest) and will visit the Lille again next week.

Here are a couple of websites with overviews of some of the local wrecks. Maybe something will be of interest: http://www.scubaq.ca/ontarioscubadiving/index.htm
and http://www.saveontarioshipwrecks.on.ca/Diverguides/diverguides.html

I haven't been to the Eastcliffe yet but will be there in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

If you have done the Eastcliffe Hall, you wont have any problem with the Muskie. I think the Muskie is boring also. The first time I dove the Lillie I didn't like it. But now I really like diving it. the Lillie has more current on it than the Muskie.

In my opinion, I have been alot on all the wrecks metioned, the Lili is harder and a faster current than any one mentioned. The drift along the wall is not bad but the currtent is very strong.
Muski is wonderful after you pull down to the 70' mark.....then it is all easy and plenty...and I mean planty of fish. Plus there is more to see.
The Gaskin is easy and mellow and a great first penetration wreck for beginners.
did all three on the weekend.

darkstar:
Compared to some of the dives you have already done, the Gaskin is pretty easy. It's still technically an advanced dive due to the depth, but a reasonably easy one.

The Muskie is pretty deep and I think boring. I have seen one newly qualified AOW diver freak on it though, because it was late in the day, a little dark and just out of his comfort zone.

I like the Lilly (once or twice a year) and have never gotten 'lost'. Part of it's charm for me is at the end of the dive, to drift over top of the wreck, and then along the wall. When you hit the yellow lines, you hug in and move up for a safety stop. Really a cool dive if you've never done it. Since you handled the Eastcliffe, and assuming you have an experienced guide, the Lilly would be a good dive.

Have to agree with drkstar and others in here that the Lilly is a fun dive. I dive it the same way drkstar just described and have always enjoyed it. Have fun!

What about the American and the Keystorm these are both good dives as is the Daryaw (spelling - the wreck just off the boat ramp in Brockville)

when charter operators around here refer to "the brockville wall" they are usually talking about the area directly east of Centeen Park (Gaskin)
I personally find this incredibly boring, the wall is actually out of the water which is clearly no fun
If you want to see a real, vertical, sheer wall underwater you need to go up in the narrows between the 2 red lighthouses just east of the Lilly Parsons (across from Stovin Island). the wall along Stovin Island is pretty nice too

GDI:
What about the American and the Keystorm these are both good dives as is the Daryaw (spelling - the wreck just off the boat ramp in Brockville)

America and Keystorm are great dives but diving those involves the hassle of first going to US Customs at Hart Island and then Canadian Customs on your return. Plan a full day to dive these two wrecks. Note that the US customs office doesn't open until 10AM.

The America is an advanced dive due to the simple fact it is a defacto overhead environment. It lies in the shipping channel. You also need excellent bouyancy control as there is oil under the silt.

The Daryaw is nowhere near a boat ramp. Again the Daryaw is an advanced dive due to depth (90 feet) and current. Current is stronger than either the Lillie or the Muscellonge.

You must be thinking of the Gaskin as it is close to the boat ramp at Blockhouse Island.

electric_diver:
America and Keystorm are great dives but diving those involves the hassle of first going to US Customs at Hart Island and then Canadian Customs on your return. Plan a full day to dive these two wrecks. Note that the US customs office doesn't open until 10AM.

The America is an advanced dive due to the simple fact it is a defacto overhead environment. It lies in the shipping channel. You also need excellent bouyancy control as there is oil under the silt.
The American is just inside Canadian Waters I believe and the Keystorm is pretty close. Is this a post 9-11 thing with the customs. I have not been diving in this area for several years. You do not have to penetrate the American dive it like you would the Lillie

electric_diver:
The Daryaw is nowhere near a boat ramp. Again the Daryaw is an advanced dive due to depth (90 feet) and current. Current is stronger than either the Lillie or the Muscellonge.

You must be thinking of the Gaskin as it is close to the boat ramp at Blockhouse Island.

That could be but from what I remember it is a great dive

yes it is from 9-11
the capitan used to be able to just phone in the names and birthdates of the people whom are on the boat

the funny thing is regarding the Keystorm/America/Daryaw, all 3 are similar (current depth overhead hazards) but the fact of the matter is every weekend these wrecks see hundreds of people on them that shouldn't really be on them. You need to use your best judgement. go dive it, and if you are not comfortable just thumb it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom