Your thoughts on the Robert Gaskin and Muskie, please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stisso

Registered
Reaction score
We're looking at dive sites for this weekend, and these two suggestions came up. Thoughts, experiences, and tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: I realize that the Muskie is a deep dive with stronger current, so the two aren't comparible. We're diving two sites on Saturday. If you have other suggestions, please let me know...we have a boat, so we want to see what we normally can't by shore.

both the muskie and the gaskin are excellent dives.
The muskie is deep yes, the top of it is about 70 and the bottom 90, but current is less when you get down to it.
Gaskin, as you probably know is at about 50 and 70 respectivly.
It is very nice but at times covered with divers walking across the wreck. if you can get to it early or late in the day you may have it all to yourselves thus, better viz

Thanks, Artw. We're thinking of passing on the Muskie until next year, just to get a few more dives under my belt (including a few more deep dives).

Any other suggestions? We were thinking the Lilly Parsons and Gaskin, but we're trying to streamline our day so we're not spending it travelling around too much...

Thanks again!

I don't care for the Lilly... too much current, too easy to get lost. Stick with the Muskie and the Gaskin. Much better dives, more to see.

hnladue:
I don't care for the Lilly... too much current, too easy to get lost. Stick with the Muskie and the Gaskin. Much better dives, more to see.

That's funny...I heard that the Muskie is much harder than the Lillie Parsons? I haven't done either, so I don't know.

The people we're going with (including our instructor) are very familiar with the Lillie Parsons, as opposed to the Muskie, which was part of the reason for our choice. That, and the two newbies (me and my hubby) have only done a couple of deep dives, and it was in really good viz.

Anyway, we're now considering the Gaskin and the Brockville wall drift instead.

I'd like to hear more opinions on these sites, if anyone has something to offer!

Thanks again!

Compared to some of the dives you have already done, the Gaskin is pretty easy. It's still technically an advanced dive due to the depth, but a reasonably easy one.

The Muskie is pretty deep and I think boring. I have seen one newly qualified AOW diver freak on it though, because it was late in the day, a little dark and just out of his comfort zone.

I like the Lilly (once or twice a year) and have never gotten 'lost'. Part of it's charm for me is at the end of the dive, to drift over top of the wreck, and then along the wall. When you hit the yellow lines, you hug in and move up for a safety stop. Really a cool dive if you've never done it. Since you handled the Eastcliffe, and assuming you have an experienced guide, the Lilly would be a good dive.

Awww, thanks darkstar...that's nice that you remember my Eastcliffe dive :07: (or was it the Eastcliffe rant that ensued??? Yikes.) :crossbone

The people we're with are Lillie junkies. They do that one all the time.

We'll decide in the morning, I guess....still considering the Brockville Wall. I like a nice drift as much as the next person.

We did both the Gaskin and Muskie on our AOW checkout dives (wreck and deep, respectively). They are both very nice boats, and IMHO, easy dives.

The current is more of the problem on the surface at the Muskie. A good trick is to hang on to the mooring cable and lay on your back while waiting for your buddy. Once you are at the bottom, the current is negligible.

Safe diving!!

Alex

Muskie is more challenging than the Lillie for sure. However the muskie usually has lots and lots of bass and perch and sunfish on the upstream side of the wreck and several hundred small to medium walleye on the downstream side. Last weekend my buddy and I spotted a genuine trophy size walleye on the site. If you think about what you are doing on the Muskie you will be able to shield yourself from the current. Use the wreck to block the current. The Muskie is interesting because it has the steam engine exposed and you can see a lot of its structure.

I personally prefer diving the Muskie over the Lillie but that may be because I've dove the Lillie site too many times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom